E-Company , 506th PIR ,101st

ok most if not all of you know the story of easy company of the 506th , 101st airbourne , dropped into france near the town of st marie du mont , on d-day , pushed through carentan , and took out the guns at brecourt manor over looking utah beach . but does anyone have any actual footage of them in action around that time of the normandy landings as the story of the company really fasinates me .

Hello the easy compyny is my favourite topic about the ww2, do you knw the story about rhe battle in the ardenes (battle of the bulge)?

what means 506th PIR and why 101st?

yes i know the story of them in the ardennes , bastogne .

and i dont know why the 506th , but they were attached to the 101st about 18 months after they formed.

if your asking what the PIR stands for , its Parachute Infantry Regiment.

thank you. why have they called it the 101st why not the 1st i men it was probably the first. And what was the 101st a regiment or what?

The 101st is a division, as the name implies. It is made up out of regiments of appr. batallion size, of which the 506st PIR is one. The regiments are made up of companies, of which E company is 5th…
There existed several other airborne divisions in the US forces, e.g. the 82nd.
E company of the 506 PIR has become largely popular through the series “Band of Brothers”, but there existed thousands of other units, which fought equally brave and contributed to the war efford just the same (even if it is just a “lowly” signals or logistics unit).

Jan

thank you walther i always thought that a division is a part of a PIR but now i know everything I wanted to.

Just discovered this on Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Speirs#Rumors

Ronald Speirs died suddenly on April 11, 2007!

What impresses me is how similar David Schwimmer looked to the real Herbert Sobel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Sobel

dick winters 2 books are great reads about the company during ww2

You know guys i also like E company . I can say i am a fanatic . I watch Band Of Brothers almost every week . That’s why i know many about their story .

bob fascinates me, i just wish that the story had been told years ago so many of the vets were alive when it was aired. winters was a brilliant leader and should be awarded the medal of honour

Great here we go again kicking around the dead cat

it aint no dead cat, why shouldnt great leaders be honoured, and why should only the famous leaders be not only honoured but remembered

does any one know about the 327th glider infantry?

it was the glider infantry regiment in the 101st airborne, although it wasn’t an all-volunteer unit like the other regiments and the members didn’t receive as much money as the airborne

i remember Band Of Brothers, talking about the glider infantry drawing posters of crashed gliders with stuff like “Join the glider troops!, No flight pay, no jump pay, but never a dull moment!” and stuff like that

there was also glider regiments one which was at bastogne which I like and is my favorite is the 327th .It now is called the 327th infantry regiment and has served in Iraq.

yeah, i’m pretty sure the 327th suffered particularly heavy casualties because for some reason the were continuously strafed by allied fighters

try this site

http://www.vizualshock.com/327home.html