Emerson incident

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20060212/ca_pr_on_na/emerson_protest

What do you think about this incident. It all happen after the election when the conservatives government wins the election, the new elected prime minister Steven Harper has asked a opposition member to switch party and immididately appoint him minister of international trade.

Pros:
he can serve his riding better by being an important minister in the government.

he is experienced in his job and is an asset for vancouver olympic team to prepare for vancouver 2010

cons:
conservative party is very unpopular in that area and people vote to stop the conservative to win in that area. To switch party like that shows that emerson derespect the people in that area.

After using the name of the liberal to win the election, emerson immidiately switch party for his personal interest

He will only do it once.

And will probably never get back in office again.

He could still hold the ministers job but stay a lib.

Churchill did it a number of times.

i dont think he can hold the minister job by staying as a lib
the minister job is the reason why emerson switched party

“It is all right to rat, but you can’t re-rat.”

I can understand him switching from Liberal to Conservative, I think he made the better choice but I also understand the people being pissed too. In reality this happens all the time, politicians call themselves one thing and vote another way, so this is just politics as usual. :shock: