ENGLISH IS A SILLY LANGUAGE...heres why...

There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger; neither apple or pine in pineapple. And while no one knows what is in a hot-dog, you can be pretty sure it isn’t canine. English muffins were not invented in England nor French Fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren’t sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore it paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and guinea pigs Are neither from Guinea nor are they a pig. And why is it that writers write, but fingers don’t fing, grocers don’t groce, and hammers don’t ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn’t the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose. 2 meese? Is cheese the plural of chose? One mouse, 2 mice. One louse, 2 lice. One house, 2 hice? If teachers taught, why didn’t preachers praught? If a vegitarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Why do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How can the weather be hot as heck one day and cold as heck another? When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by going on. You get in and out of a car, yet you get on and off a bus. When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible. And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it , but when I wind up this essay I end it? English is a silly language…………It doesn’t know if it’s coming or going!!!

You think that’s silly - get a load of these:

abid, abyd, abyde verb, prsnt. remain, await, wait; abood verb, pst. awaited, remained
abideth, abydeth verb awaits

abidyng verb awaiting

able adj. suitable

abluciouns noun cleansings

abood noun delay

above adj. superior

abregge verb abridge, shorten

accidie noun sloth, laziness

accord, acord noun agreement

achatours noun buyers

acorded verb agreed

adoun prep. below

adrad adj. afraid

afered, aferd adj. afraid

affiance noun trust

affraye verb, prsnt frighten

affrayed verb, pst. frightened, afraid

after-mete prep. the time after diner

agast verb, pst. prtcpl. frightened

agaste verb, pst. sg. frightened

agu noun acute fever

aiel noun grandfather

aketoun noun wadded jacket worn under the chain-mail coat

al conj. although

alauntz noun wolfhounds

al bifore adv. first, before everyone else, heading the procession

alday adv. daily

alderbest best of all

alderfirst first of all, to begin with

alderlevest most beloved

aldermost most of all

aleyes noun garden paths

algate, algates adv. always, all the same

alkamystre noun alchemist

Alkaron noun the Koran

alle and some one and all, everyone

allegge verb adduce, cite

English not only borrows words from other languages, it has on occasion been known to follow them down dark alleys and mug them for more words!

Besides, why shouldn’t the grammar be screwed up? After all, it’s only a wierd hybrid of Norman French (mixture of Norse, early French and Latin) with Old English (mix of Latin, Anglo-Saxon (germanic), Norse and Celtic). With a pedigree like that (and having added any vaguely useful word it came across after that) why on earth would you expect simplicity?