Erwin Rommel Famous Quotes

Garm1and inspired me to introduce this thread
To understand the thinking of leaders will inspire us to become leaders. If you know any FAMOUS quotes from My Favorite Marshall then Pls contribute:<Mine is`
“It is often possible to decide the issue of a battle merely by making an unexpected shift of one’s main weight.” as quoted by Rommel the GREAT!!!

Sweat spares Blood and Brains spare both -Erwin Rommel

Hey, I found a quote RS would like:
If I had to take hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it.

http://www.memorablequotations.com/rommel.htm (yes I included a link in case you think I made it up)

Seems unlikely. The reverse would seem more likely.

Leaving aside Australian fluid operation successes against Rommel, they were stout in their lengthy and somewhat innovative static defence of Tobruk.

The New Zealanders were much more involved in fluid operations against Rommel. http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/war/the-north-african-campaign

I’m happy to alter my impression if a sound source for Rommel’s quote is provided.

I liked this one,LOL :
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.

Pithy quote, but meaningless in reality.

A sniper with a single shot rifle who kills a machine gunner with 200+ rounds in the machine gun ends up with no rounds and a dead enemy with 200+ rounds.

Though I think snipers tend to avoid machine-gunners :smiley:

They do prefer Lieutenants, Captains, and Majors.

Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern European troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success."

I’m sure Rommel learned that all too well !

rommel.jpg

Don’t fight a battle if you don’t gain anything by winning.
Erwin Rommel

“You fought together, you’ll live together.”

Rommel to a (white) South-African officer who didn’t want to share POW barracks with his coloured troops.

Be an example to your men in your duty and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don’t in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered, and teach your subordinates to be the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-443-1582-32,_Nordafrika,_Generaloberst_Erwin_Rommel.jpg

general_field_marshal_erwin_rommel_by_dak_rommel-d6p1zuw.jpg
Another good quote from General Rommel.

The German soldier has impressed the world, however the Italian Bersagliere soldier has impressed the German soldier.

It takes a brave man to go around the desert with half a chicken in his hat :stuck_out_tongue: