ethnic polish soldiers - Polish Forces | Gallery

ethnic polish soldiers

ethnic polish soldiers of the ukrainian nationality captured by germans in september 1939, Pultusk-Poland

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/polish-forces/43470/ethnic-polish-soldiers

My great-aunt’s husband was an ethnic Pole of Czechoslovak nationality, who found himself in the Polish Army following the 1938 absorbtion of his district by Poland. He somehow got out after the 1939 defeat, and remained in the Polish Army (under the British) to the end of the war. He was eventually demobilised in England, and worked thereafter as a chef, for the most part, in the private dining rooms of City of London banks. Married a nice Irish girl in London on war work, and they did very well thereafter. Not sure what he was serving up to the bankers - but he did great Polish food at home. One of my favourite relatives-in-law. To Ernst and Violet - may you both Rest in Peace. JR.

They are not, the best description concerning their habits and traditions is to post them a little between Roman Catholics and Orthodox. One big difference between Greek Catholics and Orthodox is, that the Greek Catholics recognize the Pope (the same as Pope as the Roman Catholics), whereas none of the Orthodox Churches does.
Apart from that, the Greek Catholics in Ukraine would not like to hear to be called Orthodox, given their uneasy relationship with the Russians (the Eastern Ukrainians indeed are Orthodox).

Furthermore, I asked the colleague I mentioned once to describe a mass to me, how they celebrate it. It is neither like our Catholic masses, nor like Orthodox masses.

I recommend this article, it is quite wide-ranging.

JR,considering your great-aunt’s husband Ernst married a Irish girl I guess ‘potatoes’ would have been a large part of what he served those bankers :)Just saw a documentary on Ireland,the potato and the Great Famine.Thx for sharing.