Europa Europa - anyone seen this?

a movie about a jewish kid, who hides from the nazis in their own army!! think it was called “europa europa”. not sure though.

I’ve seen the movie and have it on VHS tape. Europa Europa

You might find the following thread in our 2006 Archives interesting.

Post #3 - Wehrmacht/SS veterans in the IDF
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showpost.php?p=82909&postcount=3

Wehrmacht/SS veterans in the IDF (complete thread)
http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?p=83253&highlight=europa#post83253

Mod’s note: Renamed this thread for clarity.

I’ve seen that movie too… :slight_smile:

Europa Europa (1990) was a movie that’s based upon a real life story of a Jewish kid who does whatever it takes to survive. For several years he acts like a “gentile” when he’s really a Jew. The situations kid get’s himself in and out are nail biting and sweat inducing. He’s also a very lucky guy to have people who risk their lives to protect him. From the front lines fighting against the Soviets, living in a Nazi youth center and in the field of battle he has done it all. When the fighting is over, the kid has a heartfelt and emotional reunion with his family. Believe it or not, this is one survivor who’s defied the odds to tell his tale.

Yes…and Julie Delpy plays a HOT, little nazi girl…:slight_smile:

Here’s a link…

http://imdb.com/title/tt0099776/

Yes I have seen several times and purchased a copy of it as soon as I could.

The story line has been confirmed by other sources including the arrest of Stalin’s son.

I was told by a friend who lives in Jerusalem that nearly every home there has a copy or at least has seen it.

It is subtitled but it gets so exciting so quickly you forget you are reading the subtitles.

I have NEVER allowed anyone to have it for a weekend that was disappointed.

What is interesting the man, or boy, who plays the staring row also starts in Graphically and Editorially True German version of the movie Stalingrad, that can be purchased on DVD and the languages dubbed.

Stalingrad was not allowed to be shown in Germany for several years after its release. It does not glorify war. I read the book the Siege of Stalingrad years ago. There is a story in the book that is made of eye wittiness accounts of German soldiers who fought there. They tell of a Russian solider cut in half. A shell hits him and immediately he drops to the stump of his upper body with his legs are neatly laid out in front of him from the waist down. He screams until the blood runs out of him.

I read this 20 years ago. We are watching the movie when suddenly there is a huge blast and there is the Russian screaming cut neatly in half just like in the book’s interview. I got my book and showed it to someone who did not believe me.

Don’t let this stop you from watching this either, it shows the terrible price of war and we all need to know about the terrible lost war creates, not just the glory.

In fact I have Europa Europa on Video it maybe possible to purchase that on DVD as well and use the English language option.

If it is not possible rent it and then go out and purchase it.