Favo(u)rite British Gun

Most of the other countries have favorite weapons, so I’m making one for the Brits.

Mine is the Webley Mk.VI because of its stopping power and looks.

I just had to put PIAT up there :smiley:

Mine goes for the Bren LMG. Excellent gun, reliable, and highly accurate. I have already posted my arguments why I think the Bren is good compared with other countries weapons of that time, but lets not go into that. I believe someone said the Bren was a pea shooter. :smiley: But I dont think so :wink:

A pea shooter :x , I like the Bren as an LMG. I would’ve chosen the Bren, but I don’t own one, and I absolutely love Webley revolvers (even the really, really old ones).

I once saw a Bren for sale that had two barrels, one for regular .303 and one for 7.63x54R O_o.

Webley’s are pretty awesome but i had to go for Lee enfield No.2 mk1, an absolute classic, and you can put a bayonet on the end! Very important that as a bayonet allows greater hand to hand capability. I’ve shot the British Army’s current standard pistol, the Browning, and i think it’s rubbish, bring back the webley i say! Something decent and British and looks good too. :smiley:

I suppose I’d have to go for the Bren as it was commonly issued but I think the No.4 Sniper deserves at least on honourable mention as probably the best sniper rifle of the War. The De Lisle also deserves a mention as the best of it’s type.

Must go with the Bren. Is the PIAT a gun?

Arguably the best LMG and a weapon that suited the tactics of the time. Only problem was the weight of the ammo re-supply (number of mags) but having the ammo in mags make it easier to move round the section in contact i.e. throw from one to another and keeping the ammo clean. Also gave the ability to reload quickly from bandoleers. Only found out yesterday that he BESA was the original Czech gun but belt fed.

Oh sorry, I seem to have misguided you. It was not claimed to be a pea shooter it was claimed to be a

crappy funky looking rabbit terd shooter

:smiley: Just as bad :!:

Oh sorry, I seem to have misguided you. It was not claimed to be a pea shooter it was claimed to be a

:smiley: Just as bad :!:[/quote]

And just who said that???.. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bren.

:smiley: Just as bad :!:[/quote]

Nah, I was just angry at the person who called it a pea shooter.

And you can put a bayonet on the Webley Mk.VI, I had a chance at buying one, but it was way too expensive, even though it was a reproduction.

http://www.cybershooters.org/Royal%20Armoury/Webley.JPG

Browning High Power is a British gun? :?:

Used by British paratroopers, sometimes… And I needed to put another choice up there.

I just took a comparison of the .45ACP round and the .455 Service round.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/DerMann/100_2659.jpg

The .455 round is actually empty, I have to reload it :\

I must admit that I’m not a fan of these “what’s your favourite British/Septic/Boxhead/Russian gun” threads, since you’ve got to pick between wpns of different categories. I have a favourite ww2 bolt-action rifle, favourite LMG, pistol etc - I don’t split it by nationality.

So you like debating the same types of weapons of different nationalities?

Would make more sense that way really - you can’t vote between a Bren and a Webley (for example), because if I was assaulting a dug in enemy I’d want a Bren, but it’d be a right pain in the arse if I worked in a tank, whereas a Webley would be ideal.

Would make more sense that way really - you can’t vote between a Bren and a Webley (for example), because if I was assaulting a dug in enemy I’d want a Bren, but it’d be a right pain in the arse if I worked in a tank, whereas a Webley would be ideal.[/quote]

Yup, hits the nail on the head really. Last time we had such a thread, though, whoever started it put a wpn which was not in that category in the poll, and people even voted for it :shock:

Would make more sense that way really - you can’t vote between a Bren and a Webley (for example), because if I was assaulting a dug in enemy I’d want a Bren, but it’d be a right pain in the arse if I worked in a tank, whereas a Webley would be ideal.[/quote]

Yup, hits the nail on the head really. Last time we had such a thread, though, whoever started it put a wpn which was not in that category in the poll, and people even voted for it :shock:[/quote]

I beleive that would be me! Bren LMG, MP44, and BAR. All completely different weapons, but they kindoff fitted. When you compare, you have to compare the rifles, then theres the submachine guns, then theres those guns (Bren/Mp44/BAR), then these sniper rifles etc. etc.

I really like the Sten MK II, even though it wasn’t able to hold against its German counterparts. I just think it was a cool gun, and I really like the way the mag. is loaded into the side of the gun, rather than below. I think thats kinda unique.

Err, it’s not unique at all - it’s kinda common

Look up the following

MP18 (world’s 1st SMG as we know it - the villa perosa came before, but that was mounted on a pintle, had 2 barrels, 2 bolts, 2 mags and spade grips) + variants
MP28
MP34
Austin
Erma EMP
Japan 100/44
Lanchester
Sterling

• there’s probably more.

If you want something kinda unique for an SMG, look at the Australian Owen - the magazine’s on the top.

Another later Australian SMG, the F1, also uses this configuration.

The reason behind the side or top mounted magazine is to allow the gun to be used more easily in the prone position. Other advantages include gravity having less of an impact on feeding (since the spring doens’t have to fight gravity) thus allowing larger magazines (the Lanchester commonly had a 50 round box magazine). The side mounted magazine does however unbalance the weapon, and the balance changes significantly as the magazine empties.

That thing is absolutely hideous.