Favorite American Fighter/Bomber

What is your favorite American fighter/bomber, used during the war? Mine would have to be the Boeing B-29 Superfortress (for bomber) and for the fighter, the P-51 Mustang. :smiley: What about you guys?

P-51 cadillac of the sky. :wink:

Mine would be the Mosquitoā€¦

:smiley: yes indeed

But german FW-190is better four 20mm cannons and 2 mashine guns ā€¦very good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

:lol: :lol: even if it is though, we are talking American fighters, thereā€™s a seperate thread for German fighters :wink:

Maybe the FW-190 D9, not the other marks though.

:lol: :lol: even if it is though, we are talking American fighters, thereā€™s a seperate thread for German fighters :wink:[/quote]

True sorry :oops: like i said P-51 sky cadillac. :wink:

Surely the Mosquito was more versatile?

Wow, another thread with no justification given for the answers given.

Thanks for your off topic post :evil: and what do you think about The Favorite Fighter thread in the German Army section?

For the most part exactly the same as this one, full of people with no justification for their opinions. Would it be so hard to say ā€œmy favourite is the P-51D becauseā€¦ā€?

All Iā€™m asking for is for people to put a bit of effort into their answers instead of using these threads as a chance to bump their post counts up a bit higher with replies like
ā€œP-51ā€
"I agree :wink: "

[quote=ā€œBDLā€]

For the most part exactly the same as this one, full of people with no justification for their opinions. Would it be so hard to say ā€œmy favourite is the P-51D becauseā€¦ā€?

All Iā€™m asking for is for people to put a bit of effort into their answers instead of using these threads as a chance to bump their post counts up a bit higher with replies like
ā€œP-51ā€
"I agree :wink: "[/quote]

We are just voicing our oppinions, Iā€™m not going to ask for the people who post here to give armorments, date put into service, max altitude, max speed and all that other stuff.

As you like, Iā€™m sure it would be a more fulfilling debate if just someone on here could put an intelligent reason as to why they prefer the P-51 over the Corsair or the P-38 though.

Opinions are welcome, as long as they have some argument / discussion / statement of fact which leads to them. Otherwise the statement lacks merit.

Ok this is my justification for the Mosquito:

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/de-havilland-mosquito-tt35.htm

Seems as if the Mosquito was a very remakable aircraft. But if it was made out of wood, wouldnā€™t it be flamable and vulnerable to flak and gunfire from enemy planes?

Apparently the mosquito did have flammability issues when used in the far east theatre. Unfortunately I read that a long time ago, so I canā€™t help with any more details - maybe another member can?
It gave stirling service in the European theatre though and I donā€™t recall it having any particular problems due to its wooden nature.

Not really any diffrent from a metal ac. For more in depth info check this out:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/mosquito1.html

Maybe this is what you meant, about the glue in the far east?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Mosquito