Favorite Gun In the Russian Army

What is your favoriate weapon of the Russian Army in WW2. My is the
PPSH 42. It was a very good Sub-Machine gun. Good clip magazines. Not so good accuracy. Very good rate of fire. Good close quarter combat. This was one of the most used Sub-Machine gun. If you would please tell me what gun and give me your favorite of it. Please no guns if there a captured gun that was used.

Here is a picture of my favorite gun of the PPSH.

Might not be everyones favorite,but I like the Mosin Nagant.If you want to learn more about weapons go to this site:

[http://www.military-collections.com/weapons.html](http://www.military-collections.com/weapons.html)

Here is a German Soldier with a captured PPSH42.

<groan> Here’s some homework for you :wink:

1. What year was the PPSh introduced to russian service (i.e. the correct name is PPSh-4?)
  2. What gun is the Wafen SS soldier in the above picture using? (hint: it’s not a captured Russian gun).

Is it a Suomi? (I really can’t spell it, but I believe it’s Finnish)

Also, there were different models of the ‘PPSH SMG’

Suomi mean Finland! FYI

Nope.

And nope, there was only one official model of the PPSh but there were small production variations (leaf rear sight on the very first model and some people say that a full-auto only version was produced but I haven’t seen any evidence of that).

Ok, then my experience from Red Orchestra is wrong, hehe…

The designers of the Red Orchestra mod / game pride themselves on accuracy of their gun models. Except for game balance they made the PPSh full-auto only.

I think you are confusing the PPSh with the PPS which are two completly different guns from two different designers. The PPS originally came out as the PPS-42 and then the PPS-43 when it was modified slightly.

Edit; just remembered that Red Orchestra also has the PPD-40 which was from a completly different designer.

Here’s a tip on Soviet WWII weapons, their desigination is a combination of weapon type, designers initial and year of introduction so PP stands for submachine gun, D for Degtyarev the designer and 40 for the year 1940.

Could you guys please Private Message each other on the talking about what gun it is. I’m trying to keep the thread on topic. Because I do not like it when somebody says something and it ends up being a big way of using the thread as your own.

How can you keep a thread on topic when you are posting wrong information?

Ok my “on topic” post; my favourite Soviet WWII gun would be the DP-27 infantry machine gun.
Extreamly simple, very reliable, solid rate of fire and it does ugly in a way that only the Russians have mastered!

My all time favourite Russian gun would have to be the SVD sniper rifle.

I’d have to say the PPSH-4 because of it’s:

-High Rate of Fire
-Small number of parts
-Ammo Compacity
-Easily manufactured form
-High reliability

Could someone please tell me if it had good accuracy? I wouldn’t think it would, but I’m not sure.

It’s sufficiently accurate for the type of weapon it is (open bolt, short barreled SMG firing a pistol cartridge). Nothing spectacular but can easily hit a mans’ torso at 150m.

Another question:

How would the Germans fit it to a 9mm Parabellum round?

They replaced the barrel with a 9mm one and made an adaptor so that it could accept MP.40 magazines. Although in my opinion you could probably load the drum with 9mm and it will feed properly (based on limited testing).

bas I like your pick. Very good gun. This gun is a great machine gun for holding up positions. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there were not much of these because of Russia’s Factorys were being taken over in the beginning of the war.

The Soviet Union was a big place. I think they’d have plenty of factories beyond Moscow :wink:

Okay, well i was not 100 percent sure because of the German invasion. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Just to clarify:

Does this thread also include artillery guns?