Favourites

There’s been an outburst of ‘favourites’ threads here recently. Those that pre-dated my arrival, I was happy to tolerate. But there’s been a rash of polls that are, frankly, meaningless. There is much benefit from a discussion of the relative merits of various tanks, weapons systems etc. The idea of a favourite is rather pointless in comparison.

Favourite medal? (apologies to PKW for singling him out) It’s a meaningless question. For me, there is no higher award than the VC, and although I would be incredibly proud to earn one, I hope I am never in a position to do so. For an American, it is doubtless the Medal of Honouor they aspire to.

Before asking such a question, I humbly request that the prospective postee considers what would be added to the debate by his/her post, and then if the question could be better phrased to achieve this addition.

I agree. I´ve been thinking the same, but was reluctant to voice it. The same applies to the “favourite weapon” or “favourite commander” threads.
First, a soldier uses what is issued to him. Many militaries have also regulations which forbid troops to use enemy weapons, because they sound different. Nobody wants to be mistaken by his buddies for an enemy soldier.

Then armies have usually regulations what each person e.g. in a section carries, depending on the function.

A soldier also doesn’t have much choice concerning his commanding general.
He does as he is told. He carries what he is told to carry.

Then every army has it’s own doctrine, so the equipment will suit this particular doctrine, but it might not necessrily suit the doctrine of another army.

Jan

I know a poll sometimes seems meaningless but there have been some pretty good discussions that have followed some of these.

A, B, or C! wow thats a tough one. Id think Id have to pick B because it is Big, Beautiful, Boisterous :!:

I voted etc ,because i like G for girls :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: hehehe good one!

A can stand for Axis and Allies

oooOOOOOoo :smiley:

Topic moved :arrow: