Fiat cr.42

The Fiat CR.42 entered service in 1938 with the Regia Aeronautica and remained active well into WW2. It was used by the air forces of Belgium, Germany, Hungary, and Sweden, and with Italy as their most widely used fighter of WW2.

It was one of the best biplanes fighters around, but quickly became overshadowed by the new monoplane designs at the beginning of the war. Various versions were made, including a ground-attack, night-fighter, and trainer

The CR.42 was armed with 2 x 7.7mm or 2 x 12.7mm machine guns, with some versions having extra guns or bomb racks.

CR.42 of 3/11 Groupe de Chasse Belgian Air Force 1940.

CR.42 of 83a Squadriglia Italian Air Force 1939.

CR.42 of 85a Squadriglia Italian Air Force 1940.

Nice work mate.

Hello and congratulations on these fine profiles. If you are interested in a little more history on this unit, I made a post in Italy 1935-45 forum here is the link http://italie1935-45.forumactif.net/forum.htm, it is in French.
Sincerely Fred

Like its’ opposite number, the Gloster Gladiator, the CR 42 Falco represents what is most probably the last iteration/expression of the manoeuverable and agile biplane fighter.
Kenneth Poolman, in “Faith, Hope, and Charity” gives several good depictions of dogfights between Falcos and Gladiators.
It was most likely the last epoch in which biplane fighters would duel much as they had in 1917.

Clave my friend, beautiful and evocative images as ever.

Warm, Kind, and Respectful Regards Clave, Uyraell.

Classic images of a classic aircraft Clave.

the CR.42 was armed with 2 x 7.7mm or 2 x 12.7mm machine guns,

Hello Clave, nice work, a small correction: the Fiat 42 always used the bigger SAFATs, the choice of emplacing 7,7 or 12,7mm guns was present only in the CR 32.

Keep them coming.

A lot of people, me included, here in Italy think that the FIAT made better aircrafts in the 30s, than cars in the present days… Anyway, sincere compliments for your fine art, Clave! Very impressive work. Best regards.

Wonderful planes.

Hello to all, the Fiat CR 42 fighter aircraft was Italy’s best product of the second world war he was known for its maneuverability and was one of the main opponent of British pilots in Italian East Africa, although this had also good biplane.
Regards Fred

Best product, i don’t agree with it. It is the best biplane produced in Italy and one of the finest in the world, but it’s based upon oldfashioned idea that biplane are better than monoplane.
For a biplane, Fiat Cr.42 Falco, Falco means Hawk in italian, it has a very modern design, while focusing on his main advantage, manoeuvrability. It lacks good weapons, at the start of production it has only 2x7.7 mm machine gun while in the end it has 4x12.7 mm machine gun, and it lacks good engine, a problem never solved. Still, using main advantages of biplane: manoeuvrability and resistance against damage, Falco is a very stubborn foe for British.
His main rival is Gloster Gladiator and Fiat Cr.42 is slightly superior. Even more advanced monoplanes Hawker Hurricane and Spitfire cannot beat him in maneuvered fight, when British pilots are so reckless to close distance with old biplanes and start a dogfight they find that Fiat Cr.42 can be a very dangerous foe when you are too close. With mass production of monoplane and teaching of tactic of avoiding dogfight while using superior acceleration and speed to get high altitude and dive on Falco, this old but beatiful biplane lost to his adversaries the control of skies.

Hello everyone, Burp, pardon but this is a bad translation, I use Google Translation, the term “Best production” is not good, I mean it’s just the Italian fighter who was the most manufactured, 1780 copies by counting the prototypes.
Regards Fred

Ah it’s ok. Sorry for my bad english, i can guess that you mean something like that.