Fighters serie 5: Macchi 205 - Italian Forces | Gallery

Fighters serie 5: Macchi 205

The fighters serie 5 were the last attempt of Regia Aeronautica to develop new modern fighters able to front the anglosaxon best planes and air superiority. The fighters serie 5 were the Macchi 205, the Fiat G 55 and the Reggiane 2005. Here a Macchi 205 of the Italian cobelligerant Air force. DVX

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/italian-forces/41862/fighters-serie-5:-macchi-205

This photo depicts the Macchi 205 restored and taked back in flying conditions some years ago by Aeronautica Macchi in the colours of Italian Co-belligerent Air Force. The plane,flyied by the test pilot of Aeronautica Macchi, Riccardo Durione, taked part to many air shows in Italy and abroad like te Paris Air Show, many times paired with the prototype of MB-339. Speaking with me, Durione underlined the difficulty for a modern jet pilot of flying with a fighter of WW2 era, like the MC.205, in particular the propeller torque at take off. Insomuch as Durione, a test pilot not a “sunday pilot”!, runned into a series of yaws during the taxiing test. And, before to regain the Veltro, Durione maked a series of dual controls flight in England with a Sea Fury in version two-seat. After many shows, in landing at Venegono, the airport of Aeronautica Macchi facilities, the MC.205 turned over, thankfully without serious damages. Repaired by same industry, the plane was restored with colours, camouflage and marking of an aircraft of Regia Aeronautica before Armistice. Today this superb airplane is displayed at the entry of HQ building of Alenia Aermacchi (former Aeronautica Macchi about to absorb the Alenia Aeronautica, Finmeccanica Group)at Venegono. As often as I am in visit tho Alenia Aermacchi I’m looking this splendid heirloom unfortunately visible for fews. But an other MC.205V, perfectly restored in the markings and colours of Italian Co-Belligerent Air Force, is well-preserved in the Italian Air Force’s Museum at Vigna di Valle, near Rome. Victor Sierra