Finding a friend...

Dear All…

I had a friend who was involved in the hell of building the Burma railway. he survived, and i met him through delivering his paper and running errands for him about 28 years ago now. we lost touch, as he had very bad Parkinsons disease, and was (eventually) put in a council care home, through the help of another (elderly) friend who also died. After 28 years, i have to assume he passed away years ago.

Yesterday i visited the National Memorial Arboretum and found someone (1 only) on their Database, with his name, who i can only assume is him. I now have an army number, and now know that this person was a ‘Gunner’, so he must have been R.A.

Can anyone tell me how i can find out details pertaining to the number, as all the ‘Ancestor’ sites want Money, and i can’t get any response from the ‘Official’ casualty lists, and i want to find out more about my friend, his Unit, it’s campaigns, and Build a Tribute to him.

Hope someone can help. I’m sorry if i sound like a nosey parker.

Best, Stu.

What’s you mate’s name?

Ayup Churchill…

Sorry not to get back to you quickly…

It’s Gunner Jack (John ?) D Corden, Army number 1572632. I assume he’s R.A.

Thanks. Stu.

I doubt there’s much I can do, but maybe others(Librarian) would know how to find out what happened to him.

Do you have a sub-unit? If so, the regimental museum should be able to help get you started. The Burma Star association may also be quite helpful. If you remember where he was in Burma (i.e. what camp) that may also be helpful in finding people who were there or knew him - there have been a significant number of books published about it.

Ayup Churchill and PDF27…

Thankyou both very much for your ‘Starter for Ten’. i should have thought of that whilst at Alrewas. I shall start with the Burma Star Association, because other than his name and (possibly) number, that’s all i have.

Thanks again…