Flyboys

This looks awesome!!!

http://www.mgm.com/flyboys/

I wanted to see it. But right when I was going to see it was done.

Seen it and im sorry to say I was not impressed. It does give a bit of insight to what these people had to go thru yet it is so unrealistic.

One part in particular … An allied pilot is being chased by a german one. Allied plane bi-plane … German Plane tri plane. The allied pilot somehow slow down quick enough (im assuming thru some kind of future airbrakes given by aliens) to knock of the top wing of the german plane. Also might add this has no effect on the allied plane. Naturally the allied pilot is lined up fires a coupe rounds and down goes the german plane. Urggh gimme a break.

Well it’s coming out on Tuesday so I’m going to see it.

I saw Flyboys yesterday on 1/31/07 very good movie. Loved the dogfights. Now I am more intersted in World War1 then I ever had.

The little cute ending was totally stupid…

What are the odds of successfully making an arial semi-donut roll to evade a tri-wing, and then fire one shot from a revolver (while flying) into your opponents head and kill him?

Also, the film has absolutely nothing to do with the book besides being in a war situation.

Yeah I would have to agree with you.
But that move was so flippin sweet.

I saw the movie on DVD yesterday. Overall, I liked it - especially the CGI special effects / dogfights.

Flyboys (Widescreen Edition) (2006)
http://www.amazon.com/Flyboys-Widescreen-James-Franco/dp/B000LAZE8C/sr=1-2/qid=1170903193/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-6883372-2892422?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Flyboys (Two-Disc Collector’s Edition) (2006)
http://www.amazon.com/Flyboys-Two-Disc-Collectors-James-Franco/dp/B000LAZE8W/sr=1-1/qid=1170903643/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6883372-2892422?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Flyboys Trailer - video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMbm_gxfyM

FLYBOYS: Zeppelin Dogfight - video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2FXkc30D8

FLYBOYS Behind-the-Scenes video clip 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvx5ecYW_xc

Behind the scenes video of flyboys - video clip 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOu5BvQpB8

Plot Outline: The adventures of the Lafayette Escadrille, young Americans who volunteered for the French military before the U.S. entered World War I, and became the country’s first fighter pilots.

Product Description:
Inspired by the true story of the legendary Lafayette Escadrille, this action-packed epic tells the tale of America’s first fighter pilots. These courageous young men distinguish themselves in a manner that none before them had dared, becoming true heroes who experience triumph, tragedy, love, and loss amid the chaos of World War I. Hang on for the ride of your life!

Don’t listen to the “experts”., September 23, 2006
Reviewer: Monty Rainey “juntosocietydotcom” (New Braunfels, TX United States)

I have been looking forward to seeing this movie but became reluctant after reading the rather mediocre reviews it received from the so-called “experts”. I decided to ahead and, as usual, the “experts” got it all wrong. FLYBOYS not only met my expectations, but also exceeded them.

I’m a big history buff and am usually very disappointed with Hollywood’s rendition of historical events. For me, it really detracts from a movie when I see things like Sea Sparrow missile launchers on the deck of a destroyer in Pearl Harbor, or when William Wallace supposedly has a torrid affair with a Princess who was, in reality, only three years old at the time of his death, and I expected to find similar fault with this movie. I found no such errors here. The true life story was most accurate, including such details as the lion which served as the mascot for the Escadrille LaFayette, the dented bullets which the flying aces had to sort through before each flight, and the fact that over one million allied soldiers lost their lives at Verdun.

Hollywood movie critics have a difficult time with true stories. True life, especially when accurately presented, doesn’t always have the same flair as fictionalized accounts, and critics have given rather harsh reviews of the plot, totally missing so many details surrounding such things as camaraderie, respect and traumatic real life emotions. And no, in real life, people don’t always live happily ever after and the hero doesn’t always ride off into the sunset with his sweetheart.

Beyond the historical accuracy portrayed here, the film has sensational filming, particularly in the air battle scenes. The aerial views depict the miles of devastation of French countryside surrounding the trenches. The casting is more than adequate with particular mention going to Jean Reno as Capt. Thenault. James Franco also gives a superb portrayal of American Ace Blaine Rawlings.

If you are a history lover, and particularly interested, as I am, in the Great War, I urge you to go and watch this movie. You will find it historically accurate and yet able to bridge the gap into being an entertaining movie. Remember that this is not some Hollywood enhanced idea of war, but rather an accurate depiction of the real life events that surrounded the American pilots who became the Escadrille LaFayette. The critics got this one all wrong. Surprise, surprise.

Monty Rainey
www.juntosociety.com

very good actors . nice act based story . excellent movie . the combat and all the other stuff was the best . i mostly like two scenes : 1st. the scene of the battle right next of the zeppelin the fight of cassidy with the germans and with the black hawk pilot (ace) his last smile and the way he choosed to die , 2nd the last fight between rowllings and the black hawk

The problem I had with it was the Germans all appeared to fly only Folker Tri-planes. That was historically incorrect, and they should have shown a more accurate diversity of aircraft just as they did for the French. Other than that it was alright.

How on earth anyone can consider this movie as historically accurate eludes me, it’s a popcorn action movie losely based on real events, as most of hollywoods “history” movies, with some good special effects, but that’s about it. But if you take it as such, it’s actually quite enjoyable.

I could be wrong , but was’nt the Red Baron’s plane the only one that was
painted all red , with the rest of his squadron only having red on parts of their aircraft

Quite. For starters, the Fokker Dr.1 didn’t even fly until summer 1917, a whole year after most of this is apparently set…

Hmmm, reading from those above whose opinions I would trust I think I can see the fault with this film.

Read the front of the DVD box.

“From the producers of Independance Day and The Patriot

Independendance Day was a great fictional film* with some good CGI effects. The producers have tried to bring that in some how… any how.

Then we move on to the Patriot. A film that is so filled with drivel, in comparsion, Independance Day is actually more based on fact.

*Foregoing the horrendous British Pilots accents, and the, quite frankly, terrible attempt at sending Morse by the Americans. My old Morse teacher would have smashed that USAF Communicators hand in with a metal ruler for that. And of course the derisory beleive that Morse code is dead. :twisted:

i agree with you purple96 . there was varies series of german aircrafts which is not shown in the movie . there was albatros dv3 and other fighters which took part in that war . was the red ace red baron i mean manfrend for richtochofen (is this the right name)

I think it suffice to say that, with some notable exceptions, Hollywood is not the place to get your history…

I fastforwarded through this last night (was doing costume research) and even at 2X speed with no sound it looked aweful. The trailer we saw for it in the theater looked good, so I got it cheap pre-viewed because my husband wanted to see it. I was FFing because I try not to watch movies he wants to watch when he is gone, so we can watch them together but I wanted to see what sort of female costuming it had in it… and I knew it was going to be bad the moment I saw the “farm girl” LOL… Much like Pearl Harbor and so many others, they ruin everything with the SAPPINESS (at least Ben Affleck didn’t pop up in this one!!)! I had to warn my husband that I am afraid it will be a horrid waste of time. LOL.

I know it’s not WW1, but one of the best costume movies I ever saw was THE AVIATOR.

I have that one but haven’t settled down and watched it yet, but thank you so much for the suggestion, it is actually next on my list :slight_smile: