FUKURYU Japanese navy divers

A less known unit of the Imperial Japanese Navy was the Special Harbor Defense and Underwater Attack Unit - Tokyo Bay.

– FUKURYU –

These divers used rubber diving suites with a circular breath system. The air contains only 23 % oxigen and this spent oxigen was replaced by two steel 3,5 liter compressed oxigen bottles by a valve/pressure device. The poisonous CO² we breath out was bound by a Calciumoxid purifier cartridge. There are no bubbles or wakes visible at the surface.
These system was known from U Boat safe and breath devices. 1000 suits where completed. 10000 more was ordered. The system was simple and effective and several suits where shipped to the USA for closer tests and examination.

This suite enabled trained divers to be submerged for 8 hours in about 8 meter deep water. For a longer time the oxigen breathing become poisonous for the body in more than 10 meter deep water. It was no problem to walk about 2000 meter in a hour. A liquid food was developed and the diver could eat underwater with a small hose.
Shortly for trained persons 35 meter where possible and the suite improved every day. At the end of the war 4000 men served in the unit, 1200 men where well trained. Every man got a wrist compass and a flashlight.

The weapon was a sort of lance mine - the Type 5 attack mine. It was
3,3 meter long with a 56 cm long sheet metal container holding a 10 Kg TNT charge. The rest of the container was empty and used as a floating chamber.
Ignited by a 12cm long horn fuze very similar to, if not the fuze used on sea mines.

The diver simply push the mine against a ship. The tested safety range between each diver was app. 60 meter.
Submerged concrete installations and sunken ships with a diver chamber shouldt be bases for several divers equipped with food, water and oxigen bottles.

Normal mines and underwater explosives should be used too. Even underwater torpedo facilities where build. May be they are still there today.
This is a memorial statue in a japanese museum

Any additional information about this subject is very welcome.

I thought that FUKURYU was suicide frogman weapon.

wow! this is some great info! thanks for posting this!

never heard of em. harbor defense??? did they attack or spot US subs??? really strange.

The concept was last ditch defence against Allied landing craft as they approached the beaches. There is some interesting information and a commemorative statue at the museum at Yushukan in Tokyo.

Genkideskan,
You mention you are still looking for information on this subject, have you seen the Jan 46 report from the Naval Technical Mission to Japan titled " Index No. S-91(N) The Fukuryu Special Harbor Defense and Underwater Attack Unit - Tokyo Bay"? This is a fairly comprehensive report with diagrams of the dive suit and the Type 5 Attack Mine, it also describes the information gathered on the existance of the manned underwater torpedo positions at the entrance to Tokyo Bay.

Yes, I have that report.

Thank you

Hi guys! Very interesting topic! I am very interested in WW2 Diver / UDT… units.

I have a great collection on different international ww2 manuals (but most of it concerns unarmed combat training).

Is ist possible to take a look into the " Index No. S-91(N) Report? I am also very interested in japanese navy ww2 diving units

Thank you very much in advance!

Nice Greetings

gaowu

Hi

report S-91(N)

Thank you very much!!!

Nice Greetings

Flo