Gast machinegun.

Was this gun also used by the US Army?, I heard it was used for tests after the war.

All i can say is , Give 'em both Barrels:mrgreen:

No, it was used only by the german Air Force in WW1.

Not even by them - it never progressed beyond experimental status, I believe.

Hi Panzerknacker, a question maybe you know the answer to. there was fancy dress belt buckle produced by the Reich, that held a hidden swingout 2 shot weapon. It wasnt widely issued, perhaps only a few were made for a special gift. if a lever was pushed the buckle front dropped away, and the twin bronze barrel swung out discharging one shot at a time by pushing another lever. I think it was a .32 caliber device. do you know of it? thanks, Raspenau.

Hi Panzerknacker, a question maybe you know the answer to. there was fancy dress belt buckle produced by the Reich, that held a hidden swingout 2 shot weapon. It wasnt widely issued, perhaps only a few were made for a special gift. if a lever was pushed the buckle front dropped away, and the twin bronze barrel swung out discharging one shot at a time by pushing another lever. I think it was a .32 caliber device. do you know of it? thanks,

I remember saw it vaguely in a old History Channel TV show, but I dont have more info about.

Not even by them - it never progressed beyond experimental status, I believe.

It was used in action, some 1000 o 1500 I think, unfortunately I dont have the bibliography with me now.

GSh-23

According to this site (list of guns now on the collectors list) there were two types (no pictures though):

German, (Nazi) Belt Buckle Gun, .22 rimfire, marked “DRP Ausl Pat, Louis Marquis, W. Elberfeld.”

German, (Nazi) Belt Buckle Gun, 7.65mm, marked “D.R.P. Angem.”

http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl/sec3.html

I would need some hard evidence before I would accept that, because I have always understood that the Gast never entered service. I have examined one, at the MoD Pattern Room, and I wasn’t impressed: it was huge, and a pair of MG 14 Parabellums would have fired about as fast and been hardly any bigger, if at all.

The Russian GSh-23, GSh-30 and 2A38M also have interconnected bolts with the barrels firing alternately, but they differ in various ways from the Gast, notably in being gas rather than recoil operated.

Well everything depends on what you mean with “hard”, I only have the J.M Chinn book who said it so, and give some translated germans reports of the use of this gun.

OK thanks, I’ve found the reference. I’ve also checked Musgrave’s German Machine Guns, which states that “production had just begun when the war ended”. It looks as if some early examples got into use, but I suspect very few. Musgrave reports the destruction of 1,314 Gasts by the Inter-Allied Control Commission. Bearing in mind the time taken to get equipment from the factories and into service, I suspect that only a small percentage of these saw combat use.

Voila:

Yep, I have all of the Chinn volumes. My problem is that I have so much material that I forget what’s in it. :wink:

Yep, I have all of the Chinn volumes

Lucky you I cant find al the post 1951 books. :cry:

The Gast was tested in a 13mm version too. It was developerd for heavy bombers. It fires the 13mm TuF cartridge more or less the 13mm AT rifle round. War ended befor the trials where finished.

Yes, I’ve seen a photo of that. It used top-mounted curved box magazines rather than drums. I don’t have any data on weight, dimensions or performance though.

Moved topic, its is a WWI weapon after all. :rolleyes: