Gerd von Rundstedt

I became fascinated with Field Marshal von Runstedt when I saw the eminent British actor Leo G. Carroll’s brilliant portrayal of him in The Desert Fox. The two men didn’t look alike, yet Carroll captured von Runstedt’s aristocratic Prussian mien.

I know that after the war, the British charged the field marshal with war crimes in occupied portions of the U.S.S.R. (he supposedly approved the ‘Reichenau Order’). However, because of his age and health, he wasn’t brought to the tribunal in Nuremberg.

If von Runstedt had been tried, possibly hanged, would the Allies have done the same with Rommel? Considering Rommel’s celebrity, that would have provoked some outcry.

Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel (‘Hitler’s donkey’) was, of course, tried, and hanged, but his guilt was beyond all question, and his sentence was justifiable.

This would have been somewhat difficult, as Rommel was dead by this time. However, since the same was done to Oliver Cromwell I am sure a way could be found…

I assumed, of course, that everyone on this forum knows that Field Marshal Rommel was dead.

In that case, why ask a question about what would have happened had they decided to charge him with war crimes? It’s rather difficult (but not impossible - hence my comment about Oliver Cromwell) to charge or punish a corpse…

And if Rommel had lived, there’s almost zero chance he’s charged with war crimes based on his honorable conduct in the desert, and his adversaries’ great respect for his abilities…

I assume you have heard of academic questions. Please refer to Nick’s intelligent response. One can ask questions based on anything: What would have been the result in Vietnam had Goldwater been elected. What would have been the course of the Cold War had Kennedy lived? Get my point?