German Confetti - Dramatic Photos | Gallery

German Confetti

At the treaty of Versaile in 1919, Germany learned that it had to surrender all its colonies and occupied territory, pay $33 billion in reparations, and give its coal and iron reserves to France. What was left of Germany's economy colapsed in the Twenties, unable to cover goverment expenses, Berlin issues more cash. The resultant inflation wiped out the savings of many. By 1923, the mark was trading at 4 trillion to the American dollar, and one New York restaurant mocked German misery by using its devalued currency as New Year's Eve confetti. Into the cauldron of misery and resentment in which Germany found herself a 'decorated war hero' from Austria would soon step in with promises of rising Germany once again.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/dramatic-photos/44587/german-confetti

I posted this photo because I find it to be quite symbolic of one of the causes of Hitler’s rise to power and the war that followed. While it does lack the ellan of a Tiger tank rolling by, in my opinion it has the potencial to give us much more food for thought then photos of war material or dead people ever could. I’m going to state the obvious here and say that fortunately the Allies learned from past mistakes and dealt with the defeated Germany of 45 much better then they had done with the 1918 version, thus giving birth to a strong allie instead of a defeated enemie with a grudge, had they just blamed Hitler and the nazis and refused to look back and search for the true causes I think we wouldn’t have the Europe we have today.
As for the photo itself, I knew it would be given a miss by many since it lacks the bad-ass/violence/agressiveness factor but it served her intended purpose, someone took the time to look at it, read the caption and share his knowledge with the rest of us, and in doing so taught me something new.
On a last note, the caption is quite specific on that point, this is not a wedding, it’s new year’s eve, 1923, the year Hitler was arrested and wrote ‘Mein Kampf’. I don’t know were you got the wedding idea from.