German Engineering. - German Armored Forces & Vehicles | Gallery

German Engineering.

The Tiger I had frontal hull armour 100 mm (3.9 in) thick and frontal turret armour of 120 mm (4.7 in), as opposed to the 80 mm (3.1 in) frontal hull and 50 mm (2 in) frontal turret armour of contemporary models of the Panzer IV.[4][6] It also had 60 mm (2.4 in) thick hull side plates and 80 mm armour on the side superstructure and rear, turret sides and rear was 80 mm. The top and bottom armour was 25 mm (1 in) thick; from March 1944, the turret roof was thickened to 40 mm (1.6 in).[3] Armour plates were mostly flat, with interlocking construction. The armour joints were of high quality, being stepped and welded rather than riveted. The nominal armour thickness of the Tiger was reaching up to 200 mm at the mantlet.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-armored-forces-vehicles/38794/german-engineering.

What size round? Larger than 75mm?

I would guess that there would still be shards of metal flying around inside just from the force of the hit !

Incredible that one strike is almost exactly into the gun-sight aperture. Above that and also at the bottom of the mantlet, two rounds appear to be still embedded in the armour, more or less intact. My guess is that these are tungsten rounds of about 75mm calibre. By contrast, the penetration at the edge seems to be by a larger calibre and the round also seems to be in place but severely deformed.

Perhaps shot from a U.S. tank destroyer with a 76mm gun?