German Infra-Red Equipment question

Hello, My name is William. I’m looking for someone with knowledge of WWII german equipment, specifically, Infrared tank sights. I have inherited a 30 inch by 5 inch piece of optical equipment that I (obviously) believe has infra-red capabilities. It is, well, panzer yellow, with an ink printing, “Ver Sonne Schuzen”, which I’m told translates to “shoot from the sun”, or some such. I can get pictures to upload. Basically, I’m looking for definitive answers to what I was given.

I am waiting for that picture, in the meanwhile you got some info here:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5695

“Ver Sonne Schuzen”, which I’m told translates to “shoot from the sun”

I would translate it as “protect from sun”

Koen

-> ‘Vor Sonne schützen’
There’s missing a part i think - a picture of the part would be great, because in correct german it would be like: ’ Vor [direkte-m/-r] Sonnen[-licht/-bestrahlung/-etc.] schützen’ -> ‘Protect from [direct] Sun[-light/-shine/-etc.]’

If it is a Nightsight of some sort, it would need to be protected from bright lights of all descriptions, but especially not used in sunlight.

This is a British WW2 vintage (not much proof mind) set of IR Binos. (30$ in NZ I think).

Markings as follows

The only markings I can find are “FM 05” and “ZA. 23001”. The only adjustment appears to be for bringing the optics closer together or further apart to suit the distance between ones eyes. I presume focus must be fixed?

Read “my tank is fight”. It has a nice article on the suject. It says that the Uhu infa-red ligts as seen on panzerknacker’s link wee supposed to be used in paralell with “vampire” night-scopes and tank-mounted scopes. The book also has pictures so it might help.
The new kit that Dragon models has announced, a E-100 nachtjager with night fighting infantry is also interesting.

Photo and website.
http://strangevehicles.greyfalcon.us/Nightfighting%20Panthers.htm

Hello,

I’m collecting WW2 german IR devices.

I have the same kind of equipment.
Can we exchange pictures ?

Cheers,
Pascal

I am like 99% sure that that picture is a fake - nevertheless i post it :mrgreen:

Hello,

Is this the kind of scope you have ?

Cheers,

I like these well educated people who ignore you and do not answer…

BTW,
Sorry for the delay in answering, It took five days for my confirmation letter to get here. :frowning:

Major,
Those pictures in the link you supplied are VERY close to what I have. The only major difference is I seem to be missing the chin support, and my unit has two electrical inputs labelled + and - . The unit depicted seemed to only have one. Probably grounded thru the frame/mounting point. The serial number on my unit is BEH-1221-k-(unreadable)-Nr.-1442. below the 1442 is “D”. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the BEH refers to Ernst Leitz , GMBH, of Wetler, Germany?

Hello,

Sorry for the comment, but it always p… me off when I got no answer. I prefer a negative than nothing.

What you have is the ZG1221 that takes +17Kv and -17Kv inputs. Probably produced earlier than the Fg1250 like the one I have.
You are correct with the beh code.

Any pictures of your unit ?
I can send you pics of the corresponding IR searchlight: 36cm instead of 20cm for the standard Fg1250.

Cheers
Pascal

I apologize for being late in response. I JUST took the picture and have no time to download/upload same. Pascal has , in the meantime provided me with some important technical details about its operational details. YES, I DO want to find out if it works! Do you know the actual bandwidth they used for their emitter? I have many friends in security that have IR emitters that I could use for testing purposes. Can you confirm a 17 volt input as factual? Worst thing in my world would be to over-volt this thing.
Sorry for being so slow in response, but, I have a day job, and the wife keeps me busy all night1 :))

Hi folks,
if it helps giving this more exposure, why not upload it to the homepage so more people can help you ? We’ve had several people upload pictures to the gallery of this site and had their questions answered. Not everyone looks in the forum.

Go to http://www.ww2incolor.com/ and click “Upload a Photo”.

Uhhh… he said 17kV, i.e. 17,000 volts. That’s a seriously dangerous voltage and hence highly unlikely. Don’t play with voltages like that at home kids - creepage and clearance come out and bite you.

Thanks for the clarification on that power supply. Seems I may need a bigger battery! Or a generator the size of a tank. Anyway, I’m including a pic of the unit as an attachment.

IMG_1326.JPG

Hello,

It definitely is a ZG1221. Never really used in the field.
I confirm voltage being 17 Kv (17.000 volts), but just a few mA.
The original transfo runs from standard 220V AC.

The german Fero51 system has a power supply of same specs, as the tube is derived from the WW2 AEG design.
Anyway, I would not power it up without a lot of caution. These voltages can kill you if not correctly isolated. I have one working device and always ground it before powering.
Also note these tubes have a short life time; even if it still works, it will not last if you use it often.

Markings on the searchlight.

Cheers,
Pascal

Awesome! I want to thank all who have helped identify this unit. Actually finding out if it’s operational is (seriously) secondary. As you may have seen from the photo, it’s missing a cover in front of the (assumed) drying chamber. I wouldn’t even consider electrifying without that cover, oand a Darn good grounding pole, aka the tank it was supposed to be attached to.