German March into Amsterdam - German Forces | Gallery

German March into Amsterdam

German SS troops during their march into Amsterdam in 1940. Oddly enough, the people were cheering, which I have a hard time understanding, considering their country was just invaded for no reason at all... On the other hand, they were also cheering when the Allies arrived, so I guess they're just polite people (Bundesarchiv, Bild_183-L23001)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-forces/22228/german-march-into-amsterdam

Funny to see how some people are hastening to remind that France and the UK declared war on Germany first. The real question is: why did they do that, despite the fact their governments were still prone to negotiate after the invasion of Poland? They did not want that war (I remember what my great grand-mother said when my grandpa got enlisted: she still had in mind what happened during WWI and thought she would never see him back again. Fortunately, he made it through). Regarding the invasion of Benelux, Germany did not have to deal with the Maginot line in 1914, but used that route anyway (envelopment plan)…