German Paratroopers

Say whats your opinion about them ,here is something:

The german paratroopers force, the Fallschirmjager, was established in January 1936, with the enthusiast Student as its commander. It began as a single battalion of paratroopers and kept growing rapidly, becoming a division in 1938 and later a corps, including paratroopers, glider troops, and elite infantry. It was a large and independent elite force of selected and very highly trained volunteers. They developed new tactics and techniques which improved their performance, such as the parachute-opening cord tied to the aircraft, which made parachuting safer and enabled them to jump from lower altitude and reduce exposure to enemy fire. The Fallschirmjager force belonged to the german air force. The concept was that they will be used to achieve what air bombardment can not, mainly capturing strategic positions behind enemy lines instead of destroying them.

Their transport aircraft were the common Junkers 52, which carried 17 paratroopers, and the DFS 230 glider, which carried over a ton of heavier weapons and equipment, or troops, and could be towed by an empty Junkers 52 and released over the landing zone.

Since 1938 the Fallschirmjager prepared for planned operations in Czechoslovakia, Austria, and Poland, but these were cancelled. Their first assault was in April 1940 in Norway and Denmark, when airborne forces landed in key Norwegian and Danish airfields and captured them to allow safe landing of additional forces. The Junkers 52 was used as a passenger aircraft before the war and many of the german pilots landed in those Norwegian airfields before the war, so the surprise and deception were perfect, and once they landed the germans quickly overwhelmed the defenders.

http://www.2worldwar2.com/fallschirmjager.htm

My opinion is:

They were paratroopers, and they were German.

my opinion i think thats obvious in my signature write Fallschirmjager ,the best paratroopers in ww2 ,yes they have much casualities but they been germans elite units and the best unit for me .

Nice picture of the paratroopers clauss von stauffeberg, where did you find it ? :slight_smile:

Haha, easy and informational :lol: :lol:

Here http://www.2worldwar2.com/fallschirmjager.htm Man of Stoat put this adress becouse i forgot .

I know this is totally off the topic but Im on Erwins instant Chat site he made a while ago if anyone is interested http://www.chatzy.com/874704724174

Sorry about the quick change of topic…back to the subject. :oops:

Fallschirmjager equipment:

Fliegerbluse

Jump Smock

Combat boots

Leather equipment

http://www.2ndfallschirmdv.com/

my opinion of the german paras is that the first generation of paras of 7th fliegar division were the best trained troops of ww2. their men had 2-6 years of traning between 1939-1941.

france, norway, eban emal, reversal at crete,(albeit heavy losses)

they were still very good, but slightly lower in quality by the time monte cassino came along. performed suprebly there.

but heavy losses lowerd the quality even more, and by normandy 44 they had great officers/ncos but greenhorn privates. i believe von der heyte;s 6th fallashimager regiment performed quite well at carenten and brest considering the situation

by market garden 2nd fallashimager division was half trained, but still fought stoutly.

in the ardennes, the fallashimager’s quality dropped as more fallashimager divisoins were formed that diluted the core nuclei. also, the parent cadre of allied airborne were only trained for less then two years. very few had experience.

overall, i think that they were better then allied airborne until they got diluted after normandy. they always had good leadership and a lot of automatic and semiauto weapons.

they also have cool smocks and funny helmets

Very good ,mate only you and i think soo ,and i think they are best then alliad paratroopers best trained and fighters.
Yes they have big casualities and hitler order to fallschirmjager regiments must become part of infantry ,1944,44,45 they become agian part of luftwafe and they fight in the best and worst battles ,fallschirmjager thay are all been volontiers.

Does anyone have a closeup of the German paratrooper knife? I think I have one but I am not to sure as I find no markings on it.

Well mate i cant find anywhere fallschirmjager knife ,do you have any picture if you have put it here maybe someone alse know something. :wink:

google it. its called a gravity knife.

The para smock looks like it does for a reason. On a drop the smock would be worn over the equipment so that it does not get tangled in the chute. This is why they ore big. This was also the same for the British smock. The helmet was the shape it was for the same reason.

The main problem with airborne troops is that they are light, very light infantry. If you can not carry it you do not have it and it is not going to be at hand any time soon.

Having a lot of automatic weapons can be a double-edged sword as the available ammo is used up quicker and you can only carry so much. 200 rds of 7.62 is about 6 kgs. Troops can carry a lot of kit but cannot fight in kit over 30kgs. Basic load without ammo is about 15kgs so not much room for anything else. With an MG firing 900 RPM and a normal rate of fire of 100 RPM your ammo will go very quickly. One of the problems the Germans had in the drop was that the weapons were not dropped with the troops but in container that they then had to find and open.

After Crete the German paras were never used on mass due to losses and a misunderstanding of how to use them at high level. They were used as elite light infantry. One of the interesting things about them is their understanding of armed conflict and an attitude to enemy combatants. This was very apparent by the way they were treated as POWs.

The important part of a unit is its leadership at troop as well as Bn level. By having experienced NCO you can getaway with green troops. They also had a very high standard to live up to. This makes a very big difference to the morale of the troops and its fighting effect, as important as the weapons they have.

In General Schlemm’s words, “you are the elite of the German Army. You are to seek out combat and be ready to endure hardship. Your greatest ambition should be to do battle”. The Colonel of the 6th para Bn put it this way, “from the moment a man volunteers for the airborne troops and joins my regiment, he enters into a new order of humanity. He is ruled by one law only, that of our unit”. Charles Whiting, Siegfried, the Nazis’ last stand.

Well that is far off from what I have.

good post. but the german paras were used mostly in the ground role as elite infantry after crete. after crete, they were loaded up with the best small arms. priority for mp43/mp44, fg42,mp40, g43, and more mg42s
the german paras at crete carried lots of mp38/mp40s. i beliveve 1/4 of them did. 9mm mags are relatively light. also, para riflemen carry lots of k98 ammo, around 120 in the bandoleer and 30 in one triple pocket. i believe they still carried 2 mg34s in each 12 man squad though.

The best german paratrooper gun is been FG42 and MP40 i think paratrooper always must have mashine guns not rifles k98k…
becouse they go behind enemy lines and they need big gun power.

Well the Fg42 was a 7.92mm light ,a close-combat weapon firing any 7.92-mm Mauser rifle ammunition.
I’m quite sure it’s mauser ammunition.
Fg-42 is both powerful mounted on the Fg-42 Bipod and powerful in the short range self loading mode with a 20 round box magazine.
As for the Mp-40 , that was generally used for the parachutists until they made the fg-42…but only a substantial ammount of them was produced.

They’re different wpns for different purposes, with vastly different effective ranges. One did not “replace” the other.

german paras always had tons of mp40s. fg42 were given to select men, or for certain mission (mussullini rescue) later on, they got priority for mp43/mp44.

fg42, a cool looking weapon, but was effectively a semi-auto carbine with a 20 rd magazine…

it was difficult to use it as a lmg. at normal ranges, because of recoil