German prisoners - German Forces | Gallery

German prisoners

A column of German prisoners of war on the Garden Ring of Moscow July 17, 1944

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-forces/30170/german-prisoners

too many to count. Wonder how many survived?

I worked had 2 good friends for years whose fathers had been German POWs of the Americans.

Both fathers were treated so fairly and received good food and better care then they had in months in the German Army in North Africa.

As soon as they could they moved their families here after the war. Willi was born on a ship coming to the states in 1948.

We would talk about the war. One night on the History Channel it showed a long long line of German POWs being marched back from Germany to Russia to replace their man power lost during the war.

I told Willi you could see some distance back in the column of German POWs and it was all young boys, very young.

I thought what a terrible thing and sight they were being marched to Russia, if they lived. Worked to they died and never had a chance to say "Good bye to Mom".

Then of course we had a German Lt. speak at our World War Two Round-table who was a POW of the Americans.

During a period of the war he was assigned to a Russian POW run by the Germans. He mentioned to his Captain how many Russians were starving to death in the German Camp daily. The Captain told him to forget what he said and saw or he would be going to the Eastern Front.

He was sent to North Africa and captured to become a POW of the Americans. The LT. knew he was very fortunate not to be a POW of the Russians.