German Salutes

Did they just do the hitler salute?Or did they have multiple salutes?

I was just wondering because I watched “Battle of Britain” and it appeared they were trying to be realistic,though they failed miserably on the tanks.Like the apc with an US halftrack and tank I have no clue what is was but closest thing it reminded me of was a stug with a platform on top lol.The planes were excellent I thought though.Well,throughout the movie they had the germans saluting sometimes like hand smartly up to thier head and sometime the hitler salute.I got the impression they always used the hitler salute(heil hitler).DId they really use both or is it just the movie? :confused:

Why do not we take a look at the professionals?

Here is Hitler showing how it should be done:

Here is a relaxed Hitler:

A little tired Hitler:

Lesson learned!

Your ‘Relaxed Hitler’ photo is actually a salute originally adopted by Mussolini from the Romans. It was originaly used for “Hail Cezar”

Citizens salute during the Olympic Games.

Soldiers making fun of the salute

Ace Tankkiller

You’ll find most of what you want to know at http://www.deutschesoldaten.com/customs/honours.htm

Except this. (I think - I haven’t re-read the whole page)

The Heer and Kriegsmarine military salutes were different but I can’t remember which did what. I think it was to do with the hand being vertical or horizontal. I can’t remember what the Luftwaffe did.

The Waffen SS didn’t salute in the conventional military style, which offended some Heer officers. I think they did an abbreviated “German greeting” or “Hitler salute” from the elbow, which you’ll see Hitler doing at times by quickly raising his dropped arm from the elbow with his hand up to his shoulder and down again.

Many German officers intentionally refused to use the German greeting and stuck to the military salute to signify their disapproval of the Nazification of the armed forces or of Hitler etc. There were some pointed cases of one officer giving the German greeting and not having it returned, or having it returned with a military salute. I can’t think of any references.

After the assassination attempt on Hitler by Heer officers in 1944, the German Greeting became compulsory in the Heer as Hitler wanted to reinforce loyalty to him. Any Heer officer who stuck to the military salute after that time was doubly brave.

Hail Myself!

I forgot to mention that in the Hs-129 the six tubes could be fired individually of a full burst of the entire SG 113 barrels.

“The Hitler salute (German: Hitlergruß, also known during World War II as the Deutscher Gruß, literally: German Greeting), or the Nazi salute, is a variant of the Roman salute, adopted by the Nazi Party as a sign of loyalty to its leader Adolf Hitler. It was adopted following its use by supporters of Italian fascism, a political movement under the leadership of Benito Mussolini, and other mass movements of the era.”
+
“From 1933 to 1945 the Hitler salute was the common German greeting. Heil Hitler! (“Hail to Hitler!”) was used when directly addressing a citizen, or, in the Waffen-SS, a higher ranking officer.”
+
"After the July 20 Plot in 1944, the military forces of the Third Reich were ordered to replace the standard military salute with the Hitler salute. The order went into effect on 24 July 1944, 4 days after the attempt on Hitler’s life in Rastenburg. Previous to this, the salute was optional in the German armed forces, though if met with either the salute or the salutation, it was customary to reply with it. "

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_salute

_