German uniforms

I am new to this area, and have begun to conduct some research on Nazi Germany, and the uniforms that they wore. I have noticed that one of the uniforms that Hitler wore included a single-striped chevron sewn on his sleeve, on only one side. This appears to be a Corporal or the equivalent of a PFC, and I have seen it on some other uniforms of other high-ranking officers.

What I am looking for is documentation that can tell me what the patch represented, why and by whom it was worn?

Can anyody out there assist me?

Actually I can’t remember Hitler himself wearing the chevron but what you’re asking about is called the “Ehrenwinkel der Alten Kämpfer” (something like: chevron of honour of old fighters). In contrary to the “Gefreiten-” respectively “Obergefreiten-” (PFC, Corporal) chevron it was worn on the right sleeve.
It was awarded to personnel of the NSDAP, SS or SA who joined before the Nazis took power on January 30, 1933. Furthermore the chevron could also be awarded to SS members by Himmler on a honorary basis.

image from www.ww2f.com

Thanks, Flamer. I appreciate your assistance.

If, as a recruit, I’d ever pitched with a badge so badly sewn on I’d still be doubling over the humps with the Wombat shell.

I guess since the smallest part of the gold pheasants awarded with this chevron were actually military, they got away cheap for it.