Germanys Panzer aces.

HELLO BOARD MEMBERS!

I am currently putting together a display of Michael Wittmann…

I could use ANY information you may have, regarding history, life, photographs, decorations, etc.

I think I have the basics of knowledge so far, but I want to make this half-mannequin display as realistic as possible.

Any information would be accepted! I am also in the search of ANY photographs with this Panzer Ace in them…I already provided you with one, and have a few others.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Thankyou very much!!!

Cheers
Wolfgang aka Brendan

dont know if this will help http://www.panzerace.net/english/index.asp i too like this man and made up a Diorama of his tank, but am now not sure if this was his real tank at the time or just the one he died in, the tiger 007 was this his own (as such) or just one he was using till he got his one fixed.

The power of Google!

(And before anyone complains, given who he worked for no I do not consider it in bad taste - the SS were a criminal organisation, declared as such at the Nuremberg trials, and this includes the Waffen SS)

Another useful and very popular link.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen3.htm

More pictures here.

http://mundosgm.com/smf/index.php?topic=1045.0

didnt realize that achtungpanzer.com was back up, iv gone through that site for quite some time then they asked for donations then i couldnt get on there nice to know its back.
thanks.
shoogs

Thanks for the help guys. The M38 SS Panzer Officer’s Tunic just came in the mail yesterday, so I’m sure I’ll have everything definately by the latest of June.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy the finished product.

Hello, please help me with solving the case “Michael Wittmann on Panzer III” what we discuss on Modelforum at Czech Republic. We know that MW certainly rode Pz.III from end of December 1942 till middle of April 1943 before his carrier on Tiger. Probably it was Pz.III L or M, and it had turret number 4L1. the best source is panzerace.com but there is only illustrative photo. Please if you have got some accurate info, or pictures for this topic (or at least some Pz.III of 1.SS div.LAH from first months of 1943), plase post it here.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

In the first months of 1943 the lssah used white winter cammo in their Pz IIIs.

I think I have some image of that. later.

HC documentry in 5 parts about Michael Wittman. Very good one.

part 1: LiveLeak.com - Tanks Michael Wittman- Part 1 of 5
part 2: LiveLeak.com - Tanks Michael Wittman- Part 2 of 5
part 3: LiveLeak.com - Tanks Michael Wittmann- Part 3 of 5
part 4: LiveLeak.com - Tanks Michael Wittmann- Part 4 of 5
part 5: LiveLeak.com - Tanks Michael Wittmann- Part 5 of 5

In ‘No Holding Back’ a book on the Canadian offensive ‘Operation Totalize’ by Brian A Reid, there’s a whole chapter on Wittmann’s final battle.
In it he makes the claim that it was a Canadian Firefly which was the one to KO Wittmann’s tank. He states that the British Firefly that is often given the credit for his death, did as is claimed, KO 3 Tigers from his unit, but none of these 3 were Wittmann’s tank.
He claims that Wittmann’s tank was far nearer the road, and further away from the British in the wood, when it was KO’d, than has been realised, because of where Wittmann was buried (next to the road).
Even though I’m British I tend to favour his claim because the British claim has always had the flaw that the unit involved only claimed 3 Tigers, but Wittmann’s unit lost 6 Tigers in this attack ( 5 KO’d and 1 abandoned) Brian Reid has managed to expand our view of the battlefield, and establise other Allied and German units positions in this action, and in doing so has managed to account for the remaining losses.
He admits himself that it cannot be proven for certain which unit did kill Wittmann, but I’m fairly sure he has been as accurate as he can be in his investigation of this action.

ps, For anyone interested in the Normandy campaign in 1944 this book is a must buy

Can anyone tell me how many of Germanys Panzer Aces that are still alive today. ie, Hans Bolter from the 502, Oberfahnfich Rondorf,Feldwebel Gartner both from the 503 and so on and so on(too many to list;-)

Not many, actually I think the only remaining is Otto Carius.

Cheers pk i will have to look more into it and see what happened to Bolter, Rondorf,and Gartner,were these aces killed in action or not. Who would you vote for as Germanys top tank ace. :wink: IRISH TIGER

Who would you vote as GERMANYS top tank ace and why!

2 Threads merged, is the same topic with different name.

Sorry what do u mean

(1)How many aces is alive today?(2)who is germanys top gunner?
how are they the same???

Knispel, Schroif, Carius, Bölter, Wittmann would these be the top five!!!
who would be your top five Panzer aces;

Sorry what do u mean

The topic “Tiger aces” and the topic “top panzer aces” are merged in one, Germany Panzer Aces, pretty simple.

I dident know what you ment, i see what you mean now NP.
Hope theres no harm done as i am new to this sortathing
cheers" irish tiger "