Gew. 43 AC44

…:tank:…

The Yugo of semi autos.

Can you explain your learned opinion? Number of rounds you have down range? Number of G43’s you have owned? Number of 43’s you have shot? Or is you opinion from reading articles by the extraspurts? Comic books you read? Number of Yugo’s you have owned? I had a friend who owned a Yugo and put a 100K + on it in three years in 'the early 90’s and had lots of jokes about the car…LOL. I have had eight total over fifty years, got my first one in '65 but had to sell it in '66 when I went in the Army, then I had five at one time in the late 80’s but sadly I’m down to my last two these days. Why are collectors so nuts over them? I don’t get it myself. It’s actualy a nice rifle to shoot if you load for it and don’t use the 198g WW2 load.

Pura Vida

Hi MJ1,
if i’m allowed to say my humble opinion, i would give to you my personal answer. There’s a lot of big differences between “collectors” and “shooters”. As far i concerned, i would never buy a rifle that doesn’t shoot like i want…
Anyway the G43 is a good weapons, like the most part of the German rifles of that era. Your G43’s are in a very good conditions… :wink:

I would like to know more about the G43, what is it that would cause it to be an inferior weapon? It looks well enough made, and the AC code shows it to have been made by Walther. Was it the design in whole or part, or poor production standards ? how would it compare to the later FN 49, or even the Mondragon rifle ?

Peter Kokalis would be the one to check out as to opinions on the reliability of ANY German rifle.

Here are some of his articles. He wrote alot in SOF magazine as well as others. And quite a few books on the subject.

I have no doubt he as written about the Gew. 43!

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Kokalis,+Peter+G.-a11958

And about himself:

http://www.cameraquest.com/combatph.htm

And a good article:

http://guns4u.info/?p=890

Deaf

Out of curiousity, why would you not want to use the 198g WW2 load? Age of the rifle?

Peter’s favorite subject is Peter,LOL. War time production demands plus forced labor and shortages of key materials like nickel steel caused problems. The 8 mm was a very powerful round and had some effect on the gas system add that to the rush to field the weapon caused some problems with the gas system that had to be modified several times. They never had the time to develope it fully like the M1 Garand that had years of testing and no bombs falling on the factory. It was a pretty effort all in all for it’s time and place.

A lot of shooters have discovered the deficiencies in quality of parts and materials.
This is a well known issue.

These rifles were a hasty stop gap measure that suffered from weak parts, crude manufacturing, and relativelymarginal accuracy.

They were never really designed as sniper rifles and experienced snipers preferred the K98 in use.

There are some folks who manufacture a “Shooters kt.”

This consists of springs and gas system parts that make these pieces a bit safer to shoot.

I know it’s heresy among young nazi worshippers to suggest any piece of german equipment is not impeccably flawless and superior to anything ever made.

The design did not persist as the post war G3 was a significantly different animal.

Well some folks like a particular weapon for no other reason than they do. I really like the Schnellfeuer pistol, even though its not in any particular way better than any other pistol, and its rate of fire is much too fast for practical, effective use. But I still like it. perhaps someday, I’ll be able to afford one. Purely a personal preference.If I wanted to collect some historic firearms, the G-43 would be on the list, along with the Chauchat , and last ditch Japanese weapons. The fan boy crowd doesnt enter into it.

The same kind of feeling that i have toward STG 44 (MP-44) and other rifles like M1 Carbine cal .30, Mauser K98 or Tokarev SVT 40.
About the Gew. 43 AC44 “relatively marginal accuracy”, i agree with MJ1’s theory. They never had the time to develop it and to solve the outnumbered problems, 'cause the Allies bombing raids over the production factories.

If you attend to a few details they can be very accurate. One detail is to get the Ost front gas cylinder or mod your with a 6mm hole at 1/3 distance from the end to bleed off some of the gas pressure. This is one of the few rifles that come with a fully adjustable trigger and it can be set to your liking. Good bullets, here there is no question that a good pill will really perform. So many of these experts will do a artical on a rifle and use 60 year old ammo or worse the ammo from Egypt or the Balcans. I use a down loaded German round reduced by 10% or Sierra 150g Game KIng and the Sierra 220g Match King.

I like the rifle and have been shooting them for over 40 years so your not going to change my mind by quoting from the gun magazines and I have read actual reports from German troops who had very good results like Sepp Altberger. I’m not trying to change any ones mind about what they believe I’m only relating my opinion based on time spent with the rifles I have and had over the years.

Pura Vida

“I’m only relating my opinion based on time spent with the rifles I have and had over the years.”

Which is all you ever need do MJ1.

German weapon development is a required study for any weapon designer. In fact the G3 and most H&K weapons are based on German WW2 designs. Don’t mistake war production quality with lack of design expertise.

I will just have live with my picks,LOL.

It’s amazing they could field it with industry under attack by land sea and air and break ground by using investment casting.

1943 and 1963 German service arms.

love the g3 :army:

You have good taste in military arms sir.

This is from our last outing at 109 meters

cheers

Thank you! :smiley: