Gloster Meteor

The Gloster Meteor was the only Allied jet fighter to see combat in WW2. It entered service with the RAF in 1944. The F.1 was made in limited numbers and used mainly against V1s. It was soon replaced by the F.3 the only other WW2 version.

The Meteor was not an advanced design, but it was successful and after the war it was used by over 15 countries and eventually served with more than 50 squadrons in Britain. The Meteor saw post-war combat in Korea, Argentina, Algeria and Suez.

The Meteor was armed with 4 x 20mm cannon.

This example is a Meteor F.1 of 616 Squadron RAF circa 1944.

This example is a Meteor F.1 of 616 Squadron RAF circa 1944.

This example is a Meteor F.1 of the USAF circa 1944. This aircraft was exchanged for a Bell P-59.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 63 Squadron RAF circa 1948.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 74 Squadron RAF circa 1945.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 91 Squadron RAF circa 1946.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 245 Squadron RAF circa 1945.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 257 Squadron RAF circa 1947.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 266 Squadron RAF circa 1945.

This example is a Meteor F.3 of 616 Squadron RAF circa 1945.

This example is a Meteor F.3/F.4 which set the World Speed Record of 606mph in 1945.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Argentine Air Force circa 1948.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Argentine Air Force circa 1960.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Argentine Air Force circa 1958.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Argentine Air Force circa 1961.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Argentine Air Force circa 1960.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Argentine Air Force circa 1964.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Belgian Air Force circa 1950.

This example is a Meteor F.4 of the Belgian Air Force circa 1954.

Nice.

Yeah, I’m sick and tired of reading about how the Me262 was the only jet fighter in WW2 when the difference in tim between it and the Gloster Meteor was only a matter of months and its engines didn’t self destruct after less than 20 hours of use.

The Meteor actually became the first operational combat jet aircraft in WW2 - the Germans did not form an operational unit (from the trials and development units) until after the Meteor entered full RAF Squadron service.

Fascinating really! I never knew about this aircraft! (the more you know…)

As regards the Meteor not being an advanced design - being too advanced, at times, could be a disadvantage. The Me262 suffered substantially from technical problems resulting from its “advanced” character. The same might be said of late-war bomber designs in the US. Best regards, JR.