Great Westerns

I like the new sig. But my favorite quote from “The Outlaw Joesy Whales” is, “We have a saying in Missouri too: Don’t piss on my back, and tell me it’s raining.” :smiley:

Oh, mate, there are so many great quotes there.

Dyin’ ain’t much of a livin’, boy.

And

Personally, I don’t think much of Hoosiers neither.

And

“We left and thought about the phrase ‘endeavour to persevere’. When we had thought about it long enough…we declared war on the Union”.

A very underrated film here only now getting respect as a true classic (I think mainly because its protagonist was on the wrong side of the War, and hence, political correctness)…

It’s strange as the sequel of sorts, “Pale Rider,” was thought to be an instant classic…

Pale Rider and some of the others are good films, but nothing equals Josey Wales.

The Unforgiven is, despite its illustrious awards, inferior compared with Josey Wales for story, character, and general development during the film. Still, Hollywood and the critics creamed their jeans over it, so who am I to say it didn’t deserve a bit of dampness in the critical gusset? :wink: :smiley:

Ha! I agree, JW is one of my all time favorites. Also, although it tends to be campy and has a very mixed record regarding the historical details, I really enjoy the 1993 version of “Tombstone” and especially Val Kilmer’s Doc Holiday…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_6Xhyusw94

That’s okay, but what’s that embarrassing Western with that little squirt Leonardo de Caprio in it?

Not a patch on The Wild Bunch, which is a seriously good Western movie.

I’m going to bed now, so if you think this should be a separate topic you can do the work while I’m snoring. :smiley:

Done!

Well, does anybody know the Winnetou movies?
They’re neither epic nor historically accurate in any way, but they’re a lot of fun to watch…:smiley:

The good, the bad and the ugly is my favourite.

No, because I don’t know what a Winnetou movie is, but I seem to recall that Western movies and re-encactors were big in Germany at one stage and, I think, also in Scotland.

High Plains Drifter strikes me as much better than Pale Rider, as the latter seems to struggle with a hackneyed plot at times while there is a mystery to be solved in the final scenes of High Plains Drifter while the sense of vengeance in seemingly pointless acts like painting the town red adds to the mystery and tension and eventual resolution.

Hang 'em High is about as good as High Plains Drifter in a different way.

What makes them all good films is that they tell an engrossing yarn without cinematic pretensions of the sort which make film critics put their hands to their tumescent groins, which is why the critics ignore them and the public loves them.

Rio Bravo is a good solid Western, notable mostly for Dean Martin probably being drunk while playing a drunk. :smiley:

A great film is The Bravados with Gregory Peck, where he seeks revenge against the men who killed his wife. Sort of an earlier version of Josey Wales in its early motivation, but it pursues a different line into more moral than story telling issues.

Another theme of moral ambiguity is pursued by John Wayne (not my favourite actor by any means) in The Searchers where his conduct and attitudes in trying to find a young woman kidnapped by Indians go beyond the simplistic Western movie.

(Well, those are my impressions of films I haven’t seen for ages.)

Yeah, I agree.

Sorry I glossed over that last night. It’s in a different mould to the Eastwood types of film but still a good one with a different range of things to say in a different way from the loner played by Eastwood and others.

Hi RS, I think the movie with Leonardo de Caprio was Quick and the Dead. Also had Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, Gene Hackman, and others I can’t remember off the top of my head.

I think you’re right.

What a turkey!

Sharon Stone was a real turkey in it when, on other performances, one might reasonably have expected a beaver. :wink: :smiley:

That was a seriously crap movie.

I think any Eastwood “Spaghetti Western” was great. I think there was also “A Fist Full of Dollars,” and a couple of others I’ll watch when they come on.

One of my favorites would be the classic “High Noon.” Of course, a few months back, I had the pleasure (or displeasure) of watching the cheesy sequel TV-movie staring Lee Majors (The Six Million Dollar Man) for the 1970s…

The last really good Western was “3:10 to Yuma” where both Christian Bale and Russell Crowe both were great…

Winnetou is actually the name of the main character… there was 3 or 4 of them made. Thinking about it, I’m not even sure if there was an English translation for them…

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qw6sKPk2_4g

A lot of the Karl May classics were translated and published in english language (Winnetou, Old Surehand, The treasure of Nugget Mountain etc.).

Anyway, my faves would be “Little Big Man”, “The Magnificent Seven” and “Ulzana’s Raid”.

Wasn’t “The Magnificent Seven” just a remake of an old Japanese movie, with only the setting and some or minor things changed accordingly?

I think the original was about 7 Samurai instead of 7 Cowboys…

Right, “Shichinin no samurai” from 1954.

There should be a remake of that… way too few Samurai movies coming out at the moment!