Greece is the EuroBasket 2005 champion!

With a team full of Euroleague and ULEB Cup players from top to bottom, Greece seized the gold medal at EuroBasket 2005 with a no-doubt-about-it 78-62 victory before 19,000 fans in Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro on Sunday night. Fans who took 10-hour bus rides to get there turned Belgrade Arena into a home court for the Greeks, who won their only previous continental title back home in Athens in 1987. CSKA Moscow guard Theodoros Papaloukas was masterful in leading Greece with 22 points, 6 assists and 3 steals, but he had lots of help. Nikos Zisis of Benetton added 13 points. Michalis Kakiouzis of Winterthur FC Barcelona shot Greece ahead in the first half and finished with 11 points. Dimitris Diamantidis of Panathinaikos, whose buzzer-beater saved Greece in the semifinals, set the tone with first-half steals of the kind that made him the Euroleague’s first Best Defender Trophy winner last season. German superstar Dirk Nowitzki was named MVP after finishing with 23 points and leaving to a loud ovation with 3 minutes left in the game. Along with Nowitzki, Papaloukas, Diamantidis, Boris Diaw of France and Juan Carlos Navarro of Spain made the all-tournament team. “You always dream of gold, but you don’t ever say it,” Papaloukas said after. “Now, we have it here, around our necks.” Earlier, France ran away with the bronze medal by beating Spain 98-68 in the third-place game this afternoon. It was France’s fifth medal ever, all bronze except one silver, but its first of any kind in the tournament since 1959. But in the end, the night, the tournament and the crown belonged to one team only, and that was none other than Greece!

www.Euroleague.net

Congrats!

I noticed also that last year you seized also The Eurocup in Portugal on football. :smiley: :smiley:

What happened with you guys? :smiley: :smiley:

Thanks Dani

Dont forget the Eurovision song contest! :smiley:

Dont get me started, its not a bloody contest. Its a mutual appreciation society.

Whatever.

Whatever.[/quote]

So do you think its genuine TS?

Of course not.
Its a public relations thing.

Cheers! :wink:

Whatever.[/quote]

So do you think its genuine TS?[/quote]

I thought it was a platform for Terry Wogan to be rude about our continental associates and me to admire some of the performers. Last year, I voted for Israel (not Dana International!). A very fine girl in a well cut dress… Can’t remember the song though.

Israel

The Bosnian entry had something to recommend it too. Can’t think of what though.

Bosnia

Edit: fiddled with pictures because the eurovision site complained about hot-linking to their images.

I think that sentence is the best proof. :smiley:

so you think Greece won Eurovision on public relations :roll: :roll:

the only country that would give Greece the full top score (i think 12) would be Cyprus

Greece won it cauz Elena Paparizou is a stunner and CAN sing

the song was great and it was lively

she deserved it fair and square

(FYROM shouldve been 2nd)

Yup I do, I could predict next years top 3 right now!

It’s usually possible to guess who’ll vote for who in advance to - Belgium for Holland, Holland for Belgium, Cyprus for Greece, Greece for Cyprus, France for Germany, Germany for France and so on.

All the Baltic countries, all the Southern European countries, all the Scandanavians, the Balkans etc etc etc etc, I dont know why we bother here in the UK, or Germany or France for that matter, but hey, guess where all the money comes from? So guess who always has to take part?