Greek army

The Greek Army, or “Hellenic Land Army” astounded the world when it successfully resisted an Italian invasion in October 1940. It not only arrested the Italian assault, but drove a more modern and better equipped (though poorly led) opponent back into Italian occupied Albania and maintained a stalemate until Greece ultimately fell to a German led offensive (Operation “Marita”) in 1941. This broke through the defences of the exhausted Greek Army and bundled the inadequate and overstretched allied expeditionary force out of the Greek mainland.
The Greek Army was given warning of the Italian assault and was assisted by Bulgarian neutrality and extremely poor Italian military leadership, but credit must also go to the Greeks themselves and their ability to make the most of the excellent terrain available tothem to minimise the deficiencies of their outmoded equipment.

The Greek army came to consist of over Twenty Infantry Divisions Most were raised from Brigade cadres that were supported by cavalry units and independent brigades and frontier units. Divisions were lightly equipped and often under strength, with no organic AT or AA capability. Most were grouped into Corps formations which had additional artillery and AA resources, but even with captured equipment, Greek formations continued to suffer from inadequate material and supplies.

Efforts were made to form a mechanised formation, the 19th Division, which had truck borne Infantry supported by captured L3 Tankettes (all of these were concentrated for this formation) and possibly British supplied Carriers and MkVIB Light tanks (sources differ as to whether these were available).
This formation also had limited numbers of captured Italian 47mm AT guns, 20mm AA guns, 20mm Solothurn AT rifles and Italian Field guns, either captured by the Greeks themselves, or provided by the British from stocks captured in the Desert in 1940.

source:www.battlefront.co.nz

tsolias,do you have pics of the greek army?,thanks!,good topic :slight_smile:

Glad you started the tread because i was going to ask you for some info. Please post as much as you know about the Greek Armies of WW2. Thanks. Welcome to the site.

Thanks
Here are some pics from the troops on the move from Athens

The commander of the Pindos regiment Colonel Dabakis

Greek soldiers defending their positions

Life in the front

Artillery

Advancing in Albania

Albania was a sea of snow

Life magazine at December 1940 praising the Greek army’s victories

Greek comic of the era

HELLENIC ARMY

a nice site of greek army:
http://www.geocities.com/ww2greece/

Hi Erwin
Great site-thanks
The right term will be Hellenic Army (at list this is how it sounds in Greek) but most foreigners just call it Greek Army.

Isnt there some kind of “Day of No” that the Greek people celebrate inregards to fending off the Italians? Had a Greek friend mention something about it when I was younger. If so is it a national holiday? Everything is closed and a big party or something? :smiley:

Ochi (No) Day,is the anniversary of General Ioannis Metaxas’ flat denial to the Italians’ request for free passage to invade Greece.

In October, 1940, Italy, backed by Hitler, wanted to occupy Greece; Metaxas simply responded “Ochi!” - “No!” in Greek. It was a “No!” that brought Greece into the war on the Allied side; for a time, Greece was Britain’s only ally against Hitler.

Greece not only did not give Mussolini’s forces free passage, they seized the offensive and drove them back through most of Albania.

Some historians credit the Greeks’ fierce resistance to the later German paratrooper landings on the island of Crete with convincing Hitler that such attacks cost too many German lives.
The from-the-air invasion of Crete was the last attempt by the Nazis to use this technique, and the extra resources required to subdue Greece drained and distracted the Third Reich from its efforts on other fronts.
Had Metaxas not said “No!”, World War II might well have lasted considerably longer. One theory suggests that had Greece agreed to surrender without resistance, Hitler would have been able to invade Russia in spring, rather than making his disastrous attempt to take it in winter. Western nations, always happy to credit ancient Greece with the development of democracy, may owe modern Greece an equal but usually unrecognized debt for helping to preserve democracy against its enemies.
On Ochi (No) Day, wich of course is a national holiday,its all major cities will offer a military parade, and many Greek Orthodox churches will be holding special services. Coastal towns may have naval parades or other celebrations on the waterfront.

Thessaloniki offers a triple celebration, paying reverence to the patron saint of the city, Saint Dimitrios, celebrating its freedom from Turkey, and commemorating the entry of Greece into World War II.

Very informative posts Tsolias. It was actually quite amazing what the greeks managed to pull off against the Axis when one considers that thier army had little battle experience compared to the Italians and Germans and had inferior weapon systems, a real credit to thier nation. Obviously the blood of the Spartans at Thermopolyae still courses through your veins!

I actually quite like Greeks, good honest people. I used to live in Cyprus for a couple of years and was impressed by their laid back attitude. Though your mezes were far too much, i can’t understand how they can eat so much food!

I think the Greeks have one of the most interesting histories in all the world.

yes,great people,and very happy,i like that.

Tsolias wouldn’t it be just easier to put that picture in your signature so it does it automatically?

Tsolias,

Excellent posts, it just goes to show that you can learn something new every day! I knew very little about the greek involvement in WWII.

It is very nice to actually see a thread about WWII rather than endless arguments where one person will swear that the sky is purple just to get a reaction…

BTW your English is excellent (probably better than mine :smiley: )

Funny how often that happens. 2 languages in one head … good god …its unfathomable. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sure hope so…

That’s a fact. Thought dunno if its good or not :wink:

Wish i could do that…the problem is that html appears “off” in my profile…
Any ideas?

You could check on Preferences in Profile page.

Well i’ve done that with no luck im afraid…