Grim souvenirs from Pacific Islands

I see that WWII in Pacific area is somewhat less known and less popular on this Forum. To revive discussions I decided to post topic a bit controversial and to some extent provocative.
From first encounters with Japanese Imperial Army in New Guinea and Guadalcanal Allied soldiers, notably Americans and Australians begin collecting body parts of Japanese. (There is no information of British soldiers engaging in collecting - however Gurkhas collected ears passionately and New Zealanders liked it as well.)

Most popular were skulls.

ALEXISHAFEN, NEW GUINEA. 1944-04-30. LIEUTENANT (JUNIOR GRADE) E. V. MCPHERSON, OF COLUMBUS, OHIO WITH A JAPANESE SKULL WHICH SERVES AS A MASCOT ABOARD THE UNITED STATES NAVY MOTOR TORPEDO BOAT …

Many vessels of US Navy had decorations of this kind. What was quite unthinkable in European or African Theatres was perfectly acceptable in Pacific.
On Guadalcanal Marines often cut ears of Japanese dead and dried them.
Pair of dried ears could fetch $15 to $25 from pilots landing on Hendersons Field.
Collecting gold teeth was most common past time of Australian and American infantry…

What else you know about such practices?
Once more please understand - I placed topic not to expand negative image of Americans or Australians, but would like to know more about Pacific War.

Lancer44

Wow, now thats something new, never thought they would take skulls. I did know they take body parts but skulls!?!?