Grizzly (Rare Canadian produced Sherman) Sells For $155,000

grizzly-tank-now.jpg
Going Once! WWII-Era ‘Grizzly’ Tank Sells for $155,000
LiveScience.com By Elizabeth Palermo
12 hours ago

Going Once! WWII-Era Grizzly Tank Sells for $155,000

A World War-II era tank was recently sold at auction to a private bidder for $155,000.

The tank, officially called a Medium Tank, M4, is more often known as the M4 Sherman (named after William Tecumseh Sherman, an American Civil War general). Sherman tanks were the most commonly used tank by United States troops, as well as certain other Allied troops, during WWII.

But the variant of the tank sold in the recent auction wasn’t just any Sherman M4; it was the very first Sherman tank produced by Montreal Locomotive Works for the Canadian army. Known in Canada as Grizzly I cruisers, only 188 of these slightly modified M4 tanks were produced in Canada between 1943 and 1944. [7 Technologies That Transformed Warfare]

Like its American counterpart, the Canadian Grizzly has a vertical volute spring suspension system (an advancement that made the Sherman tank more reliable and more comfortable to ride in than earlier tanks). Atop the main body of the tank is a rotating turret that holds a 75 mm gun. Both the Canadian and American versions boast a 9-cylinder, 350-horsepower radial engine, with each tank typically carrying five crewmembers.

But unlike American-made Sherman tanks, the Grizzly has thick armor that gives it a rounded appearance. Later models of the Grizzly also had Canadian Dry Pin (CDP) tracks. These were lighter tracks than their American counterpart was equipped with and lacked any rubber parts, which made them more practical during WWII, when Asian-produced rubber was a scarce commodity.

The recent sale of the Canadian tank took place online via the New York-based auction platform Bidsquare. The tank was sold Wednesday (Oct. 14) by H&H Classics, an auction house that specializes in the sale of cars and motorcycles. Other Sherman tanks have been auctioned off in the U.S. in recent years. In 2014, several different variants of the Sherman tank were sold at auction. The largest of these, an M4A3E2 “Jumbo” Sherman assault tank, sold for more than $1 million.

The Grizzly, which sold for much less than the oversized assault tank, needs a bit of work to its electrical system and hydraulic cables to get it up and running, according to Bidsquare. In other words, a Canadian army tank could soon be rolling toward a town near you.

Follow Elizabeth Palermo @techEpalermo. Follow Live Science @livescience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on Live Science

That’s awesome… I want a Grizzly…

See that guy in England bought an old Canadian Scorpion for 9,000 pounds? Lucky guy. XD

And to think I turned down a driveable Sherman back in the 80’s because I thought $10,000 was too high a price (at the time it kind of was) Whooda thunk it…

Whaaaaaaat… TG WHY???

It was alot of $$ for a (at the time) fairly common vehicle. 10K was a bit steep for one,a ready to go Stuart was about $5,000. A pretty nice U.S. Half Track with a donor vehicle for parts might run $2,500. (shipping not included) These prices are about a tenth of what they go for today, Had I known, I would have bought it with Shermans being so difficult to find in one piece these days. I’ll be visiting the Russel road military Museum soon, they usually have vehicles for sale, I’ll see what they have, and how much.

Yeah, I know. But it still makes me sad.

Hope you have fun at the Russel Museum.

I’ll post some pics, they have a lot of stuff there, even some fighter planes, and helo’s

Sounds great, can’t wait.

For those who appreciate the TOG II, here’s a picture you’ll enjoy. (Kind of an inside TOG joke…)