Gun Question

What is the most POWERFUL Gun in the World?

PLease post information here, thank you.

First how do you define powerful? Muzzle energy or the ability to have an explosive projectile.

Second whats your definition of a gun? In the NZ army when you are being subjected to gun fire it means you are under artillery attack. While Small arms fire is rifles and the like.

So do you include artillery in your definition of “gun” and then are you limiting it to mobile artillery or how about ships cannons or the German Railway guns?

Maybe he meant water gun?

One of those GBFO German railway cannon, in all likelihood. Artillery is not really my thing though…

Not to mention mortars, which are guns.

Apart from muzzle energy and explosive projectile mentioned by bas, what about deliverance of energy from deformation of projectectile for small arms or radius of damage for gun projectiles? Smaller calibres can do more damage that larger ones from different tubes, and vice versa.

As well as different effects for fused for air burst, ground contact, delayed burst and so on. The same shell fused for air burst might not be half as impressive or destructive if fused for delayed burst, or vice versa. Or using rounds for unintended purposes, such as tank AP rounds fired into the ground, which were surprisingly effective against bunkers in Vietnam.

As for Kiwi ‘gun’ fire meaning artillery attack, the same in Oz. Also in WWII the Australian artillery order “Gunfire” meant shove rounds in and fire them off as fast as the gunners could manage on each gun.

If you were on the wrong end of “just” basic 25 pounders, from any army, it didn’t really matter how ‘POWERFUL’ the gun was. By all accounts it was terrifying and murderous gun fire, but we’ve only got survivors’ accounts for that.

The drill sergeant in ‘Full metal Jacket’ did an excellent job of describing the difference between a sodier’s rifle and his gun, something like…"…this is my rifle! and this my gun!".…to music. :smiley:

R. Lee Ermy is the host of “Mail Call” on the History channel.
He does an excellent job describing alot of things in that movie!

Did you know that the training camp featured in the film is that of the Queens Division in Cambridgeshire, England, and the ‘Hue City’ battle scenes were filmed in the docklands in east London?

Yes, I’ve heard of ‘Mail Call’…might have caught it in the States… but not certain?..

…and, yes, he was very excellent! :slight_smile:

I mean side arm and by most powerful I mean like how the Smith & Wesson Model 500 is the most powerful hand gun

I would like to know what the most powerful sidearm as well as machine gun and rifle

P.S. artillery would be nice to.

Thank you!:smiley:

No it’s not, not by a country mile.

.50BMG Maadi-Griffin single shot
.600NE Revolver
.458 Win Mag rev.
Various C19th Howdah pistols

Did you know that the training camp featured in the film is that of the Queens Division in Cambridgeshire, England, and the ‘Hue City’ battle scenes were filmed in the docklands in east London?

I did not know this…I didn’t even notice the accents

I did not know this…I didn’t even notice the accents

That’s becuse they were singing to an American tune.:smiley:

I guess that would explain it!