Hannibal Rising

Anyone a fan of the Silence of the Lambs books or movies? There is a new movie called “Hannibal Rising”. I’m not sure if it’s out yet, but if anyone has seen it, can you let me know how it was?

I just finished reading the novel Hannibal Rising and had no idea it was a movie already, since the book just came out. It’s a chilling story of Lecter as a youth, well-told and well-written.

JT

Glad to hear there is a book. I paid more attention to the preview last night and the movie is coming out this month. I read the other books in the series. The movies were good, but the books were better. Did you read “Hannibal” (that was the name, right)? the one before Hannibal Rising? They really ruined the ending in the movie. The book ending was much better, I thought. Jodie Foster refused to be in the last movie because she didn’t like the way they changed the ending. Julian Moore did a good job, but I missed Jodie.

Not yet, but it’s on my list. In fact, the only one in the series I’ve read thus far is Hannibal Rising.

JT

Well, I recommend the whole series. Hannibal starts to give hints as to why Hannibal Lecter is the way he is. I’m sure that Hannibal Rising goes much more in depth about his past, though, so I am buying it today, along with a bunch of WWII books.

IF I am not mistaken, doesn’t this new movie also have some WWII scenes in it? I could have sworn I saw a German Stuka plane in the preview.

Yes, there are German aircraft in the book, since the action takes place in Eastern Europe during the war, Lithuania IIRC.

JT

I recall from “Hannibal” that Hannibal and his little sister were orphans during the war. Without creating any spoilers, I deduced that things that happened to him as a child during WWII really shaped him into the Hannibal we all know and, (dare I say?) love, today.

Yes, exactly. To make my earlier post more accurate, PART of the action takes place in Eastern Europe during the war. Lecter was born into the aristocracy, and experiences the effects of war from the Germans, the Russians, and his countrymen.
JT