Happy Trafalgar Day!...

… to you all, 200 years to this day.

It’s difficult to describe how impotant the battle of Trafalgar was to world history. It was a completely British victory, the fleet was manned by English, Scots, Welsh and quite a few Irish but also had a mixture of another 11 different nations on the ships (even yanks!).

What I would like to know is how much other countries know about the battle. I know we in school were taught very liitle about Austerlitz but how much do you know about Nelsons greatest victory?

Interested of Wales

England Expects!

As Victory’s guns are still operational (as was demonstrated last night) I propose taking her to sea to harass French interests in the Caribbean or the Med.

proposal seconded.

Go Nelson :!: :!: :!: :!:

To bad he died in the battle but the legacy lives on eh? :smiley:

She would present a very small radar profile, being wooden. A stealth ship. :twisted:

‘Engage the enemy more closely!’

I think i might have to watch master & commander again. :smiley:

YES! Would be fantastic to see her sailing accross the channel and capture a few frenchies again, although they might have to replace the fibre-glass guns with real ones of course.

On this thought I do remember seeing a cartoon in the Navy News (NOT ex matelo) during a certain war in 1982 whch I don’t think I’m allowed to mention by name?

Anyhoo, the MOD was very nervous about the fact we only had 2 carriers to send down there (or 3 depending on your viewpoint :D) so they actually considered re-comissioning HMS Bulwark which was laid up in 1981. She was in a right state and known throughout the navy as “The Rusty B” and proved to be to far gone to save.

In the news there was a cartoon of two sailors reading a paper which said “Rusty B to be prepared for the South Atlantic”. One was saying to the other “My God they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel, whatever next?”

Through the window over their shoulders was HMS Victory being towed out of Portsmouth harbour!

Made I laugh anyway.

http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Ships/Bulwark.html

edited by crab to correct BBCode