He177 "projekts"

I bought an airfix he177 some time ago. I want to build a project based on or using the He177.

So…what you want ?

Hey, I did that kit, at least 25 years ago… it contained 2 or 3 HS-293 gliding bombs if I remember correctly…

I mean, you know, Luft46 projects.

Hmm…I think they are just 2, the he-274 and the he-277.

http://www.luftarchiv.de/flugzeuge/heinkel/he177.htm

Do you know testbed project/prototypes?

Hmmm, I dont remember, I going to dig up isn some book and Ill tell you.

:)Thanks!

From memory, for projects your two best bets are the thing the Czechs flew in 1946/47 something they called OG 010 or OH 010, basically a finished preproduction He277, and the He274 flown out of Orleans/Bricy by the French in Dec.1945.

The Czech beasty flew three times, and was basically abandoned on the ground thereafter, likely because the Soviets had by that stage copied the B29 as the Tu4 and were using that.

Designated as A.A.S. OIA, the French thing had more success, being flown 4 times before , with the usual French aplomb in such matters, it caught fire in flight, upon which the two crew aboard exited and it crashed to it’s destruction, so one story has it. The other story has the thing being broken up as scrap some years after being abandoned on the ground.

Incidentally, the He.177 may well hold one of the worlds’ unusual records: something like 4,800 design changes were made to the thing in its’ production and service lifetime, of which figure 2,860 were “major” changes. Each of these had to be retrofitted to surviving aircraft already produced.

However: despite its’ fearsome inflammability and the horrid reputation it earned, the He.177 was, when tuned and maintained well, a very effective and capable aircraft, well able to achieve performance required of it.

(Side note: for the purely spectacular, you might wish to consider the He.177 A3-R5. This beasty flew with a 75mm BK cannon projecting some 3 meters ahead of the underside of the aircraft cockpit.)

As regards Luftwaffe’46 projects, well there’s a family of about 18 He.177 variants to choose from, any or all of which would be candidates for a '46 scenario/diorama.

I wish you luck, the Airfix (I’m guessing that is what yours is) kit of the He.177 is a reasonably early one, and as such a right bastard to work with or produce a good model from, though in fairness a good result can be achieved.

Regards, Uyraell.