Hearts and Minds?

Can anyone serving in Iraq confirm the following?

The following directive was issued by the commanding officer of a naval
installation somewhere in the Middle East, and it was obviously directed
at the Marines.

To: All Commands
Subject: Inappropriate T-Shirts
Ref: ComMidEastFor Inst 16134//24 K

1. All commanders promulgate upon receipt.

2. The following T-shirts are no longer to be worn on or off base by any
    military or civilian personnel serving in the Middle East:

“Eat Pork Or Die” [both English and Arabic versions]

“Shrine Busters” [Various. Show burning minarets or bomb/artillery
shells impacting Islamic shrines. Some with unit logos.]

“Napalm, Sticks Like Crazy” [Both English and Arabic versions]

“Goat - it isn’t just for breakfast any more.” [Both English and Arabic
versions]

“The road to Paradise begins with me.” [Mostly Arabic versions but some
in English. Some show sniper scope cross-hairs]

“Guns don’t kill people. I kill people.” [Both Arabic and English
versions]

“Let’s all be Politically Correct and kill the bastards quietly.” [Both
Arabic and English versions]

“Pork. The other white meat.” [Arabic version]

“Infidel” [English, Arabic and other coalition force languages.]

1. The above T-shirts are to be removed from all Exchanges upon receipt
    of this directive.

2. The following signs are to be removed upon receipt of this message:

“Islamic Religious Services Will Be Held at the Firing Range At 0800
Daily.”

“Do we really need ‘smart bombs’ to drop on these dumb bastards?”

1. All commands are instructed to implement sensitivity training upon
    receipt.

I heard on the BBC that Nato countries are finding it hard to take over peacekeeping duties in Afganistan from the US forces because of their violence towards the locals…

I’d be interested in the experiences of those that have served in either place.

I saw that a year or so back Bas, just another urban myth - funny though. :slight_smile:

:roll: Give me a break…LOL

Although to be fair, the PXs usually stock items in poor taste. WHo can rember “Balkans now!”, available in many items.

Or that sniper alley poster of Sarajevo.

Even some of the 9/11 stuff I classed as tacky. A T-shirt with a GI taking the flag from a New York fireman, with the words “we’ll take it from here!!” (pass the barf bag!!!)

Never seen the above ones though, and it must be spoof as what ever is written is usually in English, not in a foreign tongue.

The EFI was selling ‘Iraq Now’ T-Shirts, with the sunrise thing with an Apache and a Black Hawk sillhouette in front of it.

They also had some rather fetching ‘Who’s your Bagh-daddy?’ shirts with English on the front and Arabic on the back.

Never seen them to be honest. Shocked at the EFI stocking such stuff. Don’t they know that is the job of the unit wit and a local T-shirt embroiderer!!!

Not sure what bas is on about with violence to the locals. The Americans are generally very good with the locals in terms of physical harm (things like abu garib not withstanding).

Their only weakness is their strength. Locals don’t generally take to them thanks to the massive array of firepower generally pointed at them. It is hard to make out you’re trying to be freindly and help them rebuild their lives when, all the time, you also keep them in your sights and treat them as threats!!!

I have attempted to reason with yanks before to remove their sun glasses when talking to locals. The reasons for wearing them apparently comes from the fact that it hides what the eyes are doing, which is fine for USSS where this thinking comes from, but not for building trust and bridges to a non-english speaking local (even through a 'terp) where your body actions (inc eyes) will convey practically all of your intentions and message. All lost on (most of) them unfortunatly.

The EFI was selling ‘Iraq Now’ T-Shirts, with the sunrise thing with an Apache and a Black Hawk sillhouette in front of it.

They also had some rather fetching ‘Who’s your Bagh-daddy?’ shirts with English on the front and Arabic on the back.[/quote]

Ive also seen a Bagh-Daddy Baseball cap, very fetching in Desert colours indeed!