Hellas Army

I am a newbie in the forum so forgive any mistakes …
I am wondering to know what do you believe about Greece’s contribution during the WW II …
For everyone who has not studied this chapter of WW II i want inform that Greece was the first Allied country to achieve a major victory against the Axis Forces , crashing the Italian attacks from 28/10/1940 until 4/4/1941 when German Army invaded . Our gallant army consisting of 12 ill-equipped Infantry Divisions [about 220.000 soldiers] without AFV’s and modern air force managed to drive back the italian army [about 20 divisions including 1 armoured , 2 elite MVSN and 1 Arditti ~ 350000 soldiers] into Albania and completely destroyed the elite Paratroop Division “Julia” …

HELLENIC ARMY UNIFORMS [1939-1945]

Some Ranks of the World War 2 Hellenic Military. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.
Army

Airforce

Navy

Not forgetting, of course, the 139 men of the Greek ‘Sacred Squadron’ which was attached to the Special Boat Section (SBS) of 1 Special Air Service(SAS). Operating in the Aegean and Adriatic, 1943 - 1944 under the Earl George Jellico.

Yes no one can forget the actions of that Force… Moreover there were some greek-languaged aces in RAF … From South Africa and Rhodesia.

The German airborne invasion of Leros in 1943 was almost a re-run of Crete. The British had a paratrooper sergeant make a jump on the island to explore the possibiliteis of an airborne invasion. The sergeant broke his legs on landing, due to the rocky terrain. The island was, thus, deemed proof against airborne attack. Unfortunately, no one bothered to inform the German airborne forces. :slight_smile:

http://jofinn.com/battle.html

Apologies, I had intended to post this on the other thread in response toyour question regarding German Paras. Of course the Paras operated stoically in several theatres after Crete, and before the Battle of the Bulge, but at Leros, they actually operated in the airborne role.

Like Alexander Papagos said Greece had the first allied victory in World War 2. They did it by resisting intinial attempts of Italian invasion and pushing Mussolini’s forces back into Albania. Even that the Hellenic Contribution did defeat a German Paratrooper Division I would not call them the Elite German Paratrooper Division like Alexander Pagagos said. I believe that the elite German Paratroopers were still training in Germany. The Elite German Paratrooper Divisions were needed on the Western front with the advancing Allies. Now don’t get me wrong. I still thank the Greece soldiers did a great job defeating a German Paratrooper Division. Especially with the horriable equipment they had. Even if Greece soldiers did not defeat the the German Paratrooper Division the outcome of the war would of been no different. Except maybe a few battles in the Greece area.

Greek Soldier

German Paratrooper Divisions

Some pictures of Greek army

oraies fotografies aderfe .

proud to be greek ? kai ego . Apo pou eisai ?

Topic merged with an early one.

Απο Μυτιληνη πατριωτη!

Καλώς ήρθες στο forum μεγάλε . Να υπάρχει και το Ελληνικό στοιχείο στη σελίδα . Από Δράμα εγώ άμα την ξέρεις . Νέος είσαι ? Στην ηλικία

Και βεβαια ξερω την Δραμα και ολη την Ελλαδα.Ειμαι 32,εσυ;;
Με τα Αγγλικα δυσκολευομαι λιγακι αλλα ενταξει,τα βγαζω περα…
Φοβερο το φορουμ,εχω παθει πλακα…

ΠΡΕΠΕΙ ΝΑ ΕΙΜΑΙ ΑΠΟ ΤΟΥΣ ΠΙΟ ΝΕΟΥΣ . 16 ΕΙΜΑΙ ΑΚΟΜΑ . ΚΟΙΤΑ ΝΑ ΠΡΟΣΕΧΕΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΜΗΝ ΣΤΕΛΝΕΙΣ ΚΟΥΦΑ ΠΡΑΓΜΑΤΑ ΓΙΑΤΙ ΘΑ ΦΑΣ ΚΑΝΕΝΑ ban ΚΑΙ ΘΑ ΨΑΧΝΕΣΑΙ . ΕΓΩ ΤΗΝ ΕΙΧΑ ΠΑΘΕΙ ΜΙΑ ΦΟΡΑ

Λες να φαμε κανα Ban που μιλαμε Ελληνικα;;;
Τι να πω Αγγλικα καλα δεν ξερω οποτε και να θελω να πω τιποτα…

ΣΤΕΛΝΕ ΜΟΥ e-mail

Guys, it’s an english board so please post in english.
Evharisto! :wink:

Sorry Dani!!:mrgreen:

Well, it’s all Greek to me. :smiley:

Sorry guys . It won’t happen again . It was a surprise to us , that’s why happen . I am sorry again