Hello everybody!

This is my first post on this forum…I’m french and live in tours,and i’m passionated about ww2 history.A friend of mine recently found in Marseille (south France) a unit crest which I can’t identify…The problem is I searched all over the web informations about american army ww2 crests,found a lot,but never about this one…
The only thing I know is about the delta base in marseille,composed by some units of the 70th infantry division based there…Nothing more…
I would be very happy if anyone could help me identify this unit crest…
The bright side of this investigation is I learned a lot about U.S army divisions in France and Europe…Knowledge is allways good to take,and as you know:“savoir c’est pouvoir”!
So,thank you for helping me if you can,best regards from France…
(sorry for my language,it’s been a long time since I last spoke english…!)

unit crest.jpg

I’m just guessing here but wouldn’t it be likely that the crest would belong to a US Navy unit after all regarding the rattlesnake of the First U.S. Navy Jack?

Not really - it also appeared on a whole bunch of colonial militia flags, and even some of the early state flags. Several current US army regimental badges use the symbol as well, although I’ve been unable to find that particular badge.

411th Infantry Regiment

Thank you for reading my message and proposing ideas!
I found this snake (not exactly the same) on other crests, 14th armored cavalery for example,but nothing about this arrow/flash…I forgot to tell you one important thing:behind this crest is written “H.R.NEWCOME & CO N.Y.C STERLING” It may help…
to be continued?!..

The snake motif is an American cultural reference to the original flag of the early part of the American Revolution --where it was thought that the military insurrection would be seen as more of a protest and reconciliation under better terms with King George and the British Empire was the main objective…

Strictly a guess, but I think it may have been some sort of squadron marker for a USAAF unit?

That looks like the snake on Metallica’s Black Album.

Eh, Nicobaia, la greve n’est pas trops mal a Tours? J’ai des cousins la-bas, et je me demande si tout vas bien.

Right, it is on the cover according to the track “Don’t tread on me” which is also the motto of the flag Nickdfresh posted.

Hi Churchill!And everybody!

No problemo with “les grêves” à Tours!At least for the moment!
Sois tranquille pour tes cousins,rien à signaler à part un peu de neige demain!
Concerning the crest,a guy told my friend it was the 376th infantry regiment (94th infantry Division) crest…The problem is I can’t find any image about it,precisely,and I verified this division and this regiment positions:they did not go to Marseille,but went to north and east France and in Germany…Nothing to confirm this guy’s informations…Could anyone find a solution to this enigma???Thank you for helping me…
To be continued…

Quoi? De la neige? Maintenant? Wow…

it’s snowing in London as I write.
:smiley:

Ya, I know… =(

Snow in London? I thought you guys only get slush? :wink:

As for the insignia, I’d say the Arrow could be an indication that it might be an Airborne unit? And the colors on the insignia might be the French ones, but if I’m not mistaken, aren’t they in the wrong order?

I don’t think the French Army would’ve liked that, which makes me assume this might not be French… Could it be an insignia from the Vichy French army? Or maybe from French Wehrmacht Volunteers? (As little as people like to talk about it, they existed)