Hello, I have question please...

Hi every one…I was showing my wife some of the things I inherited from my Grandpa who served in WWII. He was in the navy in the Pacific. He past away in `82, and I ended up with one of his strong boxes that contained the money he brought back with him…Most of it is bank notes from the Phillipines, and Japan, along with some gold notes from china, and a few french notes. He had a lot of coins too. I think he must have traded with other sailors that he met, because there are some from Austrailia as well.

The question I have is this…in the bottom of the strong box was this cut patch. It appears to be made of flannel, and is either black or very dark navy blue. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what it means. I don’t even know if it’s American in origin, as I know Grandpa was in action with the Japanese.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

I have posted it on another site I go to as well. We see if we can figure this one out. It is very interesting.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I think it is a patch with a small dot in the centre of rings encompased by a large looking square.It must be something important. Maybe from the Special Forces or maybe even the English RAf as they had dots painted on their planes in WW2…hope this helps.

This comes from someone who earned one and wore it. It is a

Navy expert rifleman patch from the era of the Second World War.

I have attached a photo of a similar looking dot patch which is from the RAF.images.jpg

Thanks for you help…I looked up the medal awarded for the navy expert marksman, and sure enough there is the “bullseye” design. Gramps must have been proud of that designation, and kept the patch off his dress blues.

Keep it with Pride:D

Your grandfather should have been proud and you should be proud too that your grandfather served his country in time of war.

He sounds like a “Stand Up Guy” God bless him wherever he is serving with his former shipmates today.