Help me identify a marking please.

I have a picture of a Morris AC9, and on the front mudguard there is a white (or pale) S on a dark rectangular (portrait) background. The photo is likely to be late 1941. I suspect the AC9 belonged to the K.D.G or 11th Hussars. What does the symbol mean/signify? And can we identify the background colour?

How about you post a picture of it? :0P

If I can work out how to, I will.

Give me to the weekend, when I’ve had a chance to talk to my son. He knows about these scanner things!

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1165&stc=1&d=1192299489

Lousy scan, but might be of some help.

Can’t seem to find anything, could it be the Sqn designation? ie S Sqn?

Or maybe, if it was being used as a HQ - SHQ.

No, not Squadron, that much I know for sure. But thanks.

It looks like a stencilled ‘8’ to me, the marking as a whole being the vehicle’s arm-of-service sign. The caption suggests it might be an HQ vehicle, if so, a black background would fit (I know white 40 on black was HQ in 1944-45). I will have to see if I can find what the number scheme was in that period to confirm that.

Rob

Rob.

Surely It’s on the wrong side to be arm of service. It also looks wrong size & shape too.

However, a stencilled “8” is a possibilty.

The guy who compiled the book (David Fletcher)took a look at his notes when a friend of mine contacted him , and said that it might have been Corps or Army marking.

But it’s certainly not a Corps or Army badge, that’s for sure.

The plot thickens!

David.

Not necessarily, I have seen divisional and AoS markings both ways round. That may be what David Fletcher meant, that is, a Corps or Army AoS marking?

Rob

OK.

Let’s keep looking!

I’ve looked at the scan. To my eyes it looks like a serpent as an “S”. If so then it makes sense. Alexandria HQ, Egypt. Some of the associated vehicles had an Asp, where for example the 7th Armoured employed the gerboa. The Asp, is of course, associated with the death of Cleopatra in Alexandria, in legend if not in historical fact.
Find the units stationed or HQ’d in Alexandria and you have your answer.

Regards, Uyraell.

I second that. For instance, 11th armoured division did this. Also, 21st tank brigade might have done. There are photo’s of 29th armoured brigade tanks, in particular that of Brigadier Harvey, brigade CO. He had the divisional sign on the right, and the AoS on the left.

Also, about the background colour, I think it is red. Compare it to the indetification marks (white red white), on the lower frond, and the open door seen in your picture.

Cheers,
Joppe

Some interesting theories guys. Thanks for your input.