HELP: What did the Allies know about the Invasion of Poland?

Hello Muchachos!

I would like to ask for your assistance on this question.

What did France and UK know about the planned invasion of Poland on 1st of September. They sure has a spy network in Germany one way or another.
So did they know “when” and “how”? If so then when did they find out?
Did they have this scenario as a priority one? If yes then since when?

I hope you can help me.

I don’t know the answer to your main question, but I do know that the Poles broke the Enigma code, and then transferred the keys to France and Britain:

http://www.armyradio.com/publish/Articles/The_Enigma_Code_Breach/The_Enigma_Code_Breach.htm

So, they must have had some forewarning…

Nick, I don’t follow the logic that France and the UK must have had some forewarning - How does that figure?

Egorka, what are you suggesting, complicity? The only complicity I know of with the Nazi invasion of Poland, was that of the Soviet Union.

I would suggest that the performance of France and the Uk during the ‘phoney war’ which immediately followed the invasion of Poland, more than demonstrates their inability to make a difference to the situation of Poland, had they known of it, complete and utter incompetence.

Well its hard to say what they knew exactly besides that war was coming. All their actions indicate this. Im sure they knew a major German force was massing along the Polish boarder. The allies did fly recon but im sure they could only get a rough estimate on the military presence there. They probably didnt know when they were going to attack but were pretty sure it was coming soon! Hitler basically told them what he was going to do. Just not how he was going to do it.

to 32Bravo: I am not sugesting anything so far. :wink:
I know that Fr/UK were in the negotiation for the common action with USSR against Germany at least from May 1939 to August 1939.

To all: There must have had some “hard” indications comming. There must have been spy network.
Even Stalin got specific warnings from about the beggining of May 1941.
So when do you think FR/UK got that the war scenario was more real than the peace one in 1939? Which month?

Aaaah, I seeee!