Help with Spelling

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I do have a question:

I don’t speak German and am puzzled by the different spellings of the Reichsmarschall’s name. Is it Göering? Goring? Goering? Or Göring?
I found it written different ways throughout the Internet, until I finally settled on ‘Göering.’

Now I am thinking it should be Göring. I have written his name countless times over 1,000 plus pages. Fortunately, I no longer use a manual Remington-Rand typewriter and it takes just a second to search and replace.

I asked my German friend Sylvia about the pronunciation as well. Over the years I have pronounced it Garing. Sylvia says no, it should be pronounced Goaring.

Can anyone help?

It’s “Göring”, however “Goering” would be accepted as well since on an international base most people don’t have an “ö” button on their keyboards.

Thanks. I’ll do a search and replace on this. After my post, I thought perhaps I should have googled to see if there was anything he had actually signed–after all, supposedly a person knows how to spell his own name.

Well, optionally this ability is lost with excessive consumption of morphine…but look here. I marked the ö-dots:

gur.bmp (110 KB)

I can’t say anything about his signature, since mine doesn’t look much better–particularly when I want to appear ‘executive.’ And I don’t have a ‘habit,’ morphine or not. Speaking of which, more often than not I read that he had a morphine addiction; a few others that he was hooked on paracodeine, which is not as addictive and which is why he took so many of them. Does anyone know for sure?

My Apologies for the extremely late reply, memory has just surfaced on your question.

The primary addiction was morphine, either as Tincture Laudanum (Morphine Potion) or intravenous injection, much as in self-administered insulin for diabetics. The secondary addiction was Paracodeine, in effect a placebo for the Morphine; one which allowed for greater function in terms of duration of active consciousness.

Thus, while both addictions were present, the choice of drug was largely determined by the need for continuing consciousness at the time the dose was taken.

In the book “Marshal without Glory” the matter is examined in some detail. That book was, iIrc, written in 1956. I have a copy in My possession.

Respectful Regards, Uyraell.