Here begins... - German Forces | Gallery

Here begins...

"Here the Hell Begins", the most photographed sign on the Eastern Front, on the road Chudovo-Leningrad. Somewhat different,more literally translated: Here begins the asshole of the world.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ww2incolor.com/gallery/german-forces/51979/here-begins...

According to Google translator, the German word for ass is Esel. I don’t quite know what an asshole is, but it translates as Esel Loch. Surely a donkey would be kept in a stable, or Eselstall.
Arsch equates to arse in English.
So in English this would read “Here begins the arse of the world!”
The only foreign language I did at school was French but I find it a source of wonder at how close to English, certain words or phrases are in other languages, especially the Germanic tongues. This sign is so close to English, it can be read almost word for word, so long you know the difference between a donkey and an anus.

The word asshole (often arsehole in British and Australian English), is a vulgarism to describe the anus.
Arsch=the same meaning=anus
So translating it as hell is not correct,asshole or arsehole are both usable :slight_smile: