Herman is Back !

Guys I miss you so much. Is RS still around?. What about Nick?. Can I get a promotion for so many years of loyal membership? I have not read anything yet as I was so excited to be back. The Herman Mister is back and I hope you guys still remember me???I am new and revised and look forward to hearing about you guys. For all my peeps, pls tell me how you all been doing pls!! I miss You!!:smiley:

Hey Herman, what’s up?

Also, just saying, you probably should have posted this in the Off Topic section.

Moved to Off topic, and Welcome back Herman, where have you been keeping yourself ?

you are correct. Sorry been a bit rusty on this. I have traveled the world, learnt a bit about life and kept in touch with old friends. I will have much reading to do to catch up.

…been doing a lot of reflecting. good to be back.

I can’t believe it…welcome back, herman!

Flame Thrower Guy I am so happy your now Super Mod!. I was checking the board and see your up there with Nick. Thank you for the welcome.

Hey there Herman! Good to see you back!

Hi Nayson. Good to see your still a loyal member. Ive been out of it for a few years but I remember you. Thank you for the welcome. I hope I don’t ruffle any feathers and get to stay but sometimes I put my foot in my mouth. take care!

I’m a Super Mod? Did not know that to be honest…

What happen to Him. It says he is banned. Just wondering if you knew. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Please follow this thread to learn more: http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/showthread.php/9935-What-if-the-South-Won-the-Civil-War?p=192097#post192097

O okay thank you for the information on it. At first I was left confused. I figure the reason he got banned is for racial discrimination and maybe more but this is what I have mention on another thread sort of.

No Kilroy I was not banned for racial discrimination. I was banned for misunderstanding of the Australian … (I can;t say the word but it begins with the word P),but thank you for being strong enough to QUESTION why a loyal member like me was banned. The fact that other members are concerned about me shows I either am cared for OR they themselves are concerned that they will get banned for making neutral statements about issues related to forum threads…either way this is the Best forum around and I appreciate all the knowledge that the Mods and members have provided to make this a strong knowledgeable site…

O okay well thats fine and I am certain that you will not do that again. I figured that you couldn’t be banned forever. welcome back

don’t say the p word!:mrgreen:

No, you were banned, or more accurately suspended briefly for wilfully choosing to ignore a clear warning from a mod.

navyson,

It may not have been your intention, but I find your quoted comment heading in the same racially insulting direction that herman chose to initiate and, despite my mod warning, build on, which led to his suspension. There is no implicit mod warning to you in this as you have demonstrated over a long time that you are a reasonable and responsible member, but on this issue I need to say the following.

To you and to other members who seem to think that there is something funny or inconsequential in herman referring to the indigenous people in my country, particularly after I clearly explained to herman’s deaf ears why it is unacceptable, there is nothing funny or inconsequential about it.

The historical treatment of Australian aborigines by Europeans and other foreign settlers / invaders has often been, and in many instances current treatment of them by the dominant non-indigenous people is, fairly poor to utterly appalling.

Disparaging terms are not, as herman would have it, ‘neutral’.

Would you call an African American a pygmy to his or her face, or a male African American ‘boy’?

These are loaded terms which can be expected to get what whites may see as a disproportionate reaction from the subject, and from people like me who object to them being treated as less than equal with the rest of us.

It’s the same reason that, generally apart from historical quotes, many responsible military history forums don’t allow or severely limit the use of ‘Jap’ or ‘Kraut’ as they’re loaded terms reflective of the, entirely understandable, Allied WWII attitude to their enemies, but they are nonetheless a disparaging or dismissive term which diminishes them as people and nations.

It was diminishing others as people on the basis of race, religion or nationality which, in part, allowed the Holocaust; the Bataan Death March; the Burma Railway; the firebombing and nuclear attacks on Japan; and the air raids on populated centres in Germany. First, we diminish and or demonise the enemy (Jews, colonial Europeans, Nazis, etc) and then we are at liberty to treat them badly because they are less than us. The same with Abu Ghraib and countless other modern examples, notably my country’s treatment of asylum seekers arriving by boat.

The same with herman absurdly and idiotically referring to Australian aborigines as pygmies and justifying this factually impossible rubbish with some ****wit’s pseudo-science bullshit, which shows abysmal ignorance of and contempt for them and is utterly unacceptable to any thinking, informed, reasonable and tolerant person.

If you or anyone else thinks it’s funny to call aborigines pygmies after my various posts on this issue in relation to herman’s outstanding idiocy, then go right ahead because you’re all in the group that refuses to see the damage such conduct can do which is prohibited by the law in my country, so clearly there is nothing I can do to persuade any of you otherwise.

All I can do is look in dismay upon the perpetuation of ignorant and stupid opinions which prefer racial arrogance and disparagement of ‘lesser’ races to attempts to understand them as people, no matter how appalling their conduct was as with the Japanese in much of WWII and the Nazis with the Holocaust which justifiably allows one to call them primitive or bestial or inhumane or related terms but, on the other side of the coin, not to deny them recognition as humans because in doing so we absolve them of the responsibility to act like the rest of us who want to be treated properly, equally, and humanely.

Er … gentlemen, my main problem with herman2’s earlier contributions was that they were based on a source which is, to say the least, unreliable. It reminds me of a conversation between myself and a lecturer many years ago, in which he referred to an undergraduate essay from somebody who, by chance, came upon a little cache of books in our library of Nazi origin (we tended to keep stuff - one of the authors was Hermann Goering). The result was an essay that incorporated the “facts” and opinion contained in these works uncritically - a bit of a disaster for the student, I think.

I strongly agree with Rising Sun regarding the proliferation of racist nonsense on this site. I hope that nobody can accuse me of that (see recent photo posts, for example). The question is - to what extent should we allow for genuine mistake regarding sources in a world in which the scope for such mistake (through the Internet) is so much greater than it was when I was at university ? I hope I have not given offence by posing this question. I feel I have entered a fire zone … With respect to all, JR.

Did you do moot (pretend / practice) courts as a law student?

One of the most memorable moots in my time involved defence counsel who relied upon some ancient and obscure Irish case (not binding on and barely persuasive in our courts) which held that rape, or perhaps rape in the circumstances, wasn’t a crime.

The poor man was held up for years afterwards as an example of how not to conduct a moot, or a defence.