Hogans' Heroes - tv series

does anybody like this show? idk, it may be just me.

but i think its funny how they could take something as serious as WW2, and turn it into practical humor (although, many things seen in HH are real corresponding to WW2)

This was a great show. The cast was really funny, even though the plots were at times silly. Who can ever forget Sgt. Schultz, that big lovable teddy bear.

lol. “I see nothing… I know. NOTHING”

and how LeBeau would always bribe him to tell the german secrets with apple strudel. lol

In the German dubbed version (“Ein Kaefig voller Helden”-- A cage full of heroes), Schultz speaks with a strong Bavarian hillbilly accent. Colonel (Oberst) Klink speaks with a rather gay Saxonian accent. BTW, the actor who played him WAS German and a political emigrant to the US in the 1930s.
The fat general (Klink’s superior, I forgot his name), speaks with an Austrian accent.

Jan

I always liked the show. Obviously it’s a pretty silly premise, but still entertaining nevertheless…

COL Hogan was played by Bob Crane, who was tragically murdered by a ‘friend’ that was jealous over his compulsive womanizing, and his talk of leaving the “swinger” lifestyle. I believe there’s a movie about all this that I started watching, starring William Defoe as the murder. It was pretty disturbing…

I thought only Ameerica had Hillbillys? Or as the politically correct prefer…Appalachian Americans.

my personal favorite character would have to be NEWKIRK.

Simply because of his ways he can steal stuff from people (if you note, many episodes have him swiping items from the guards) and his constant posing as a German. (LOL, NEWKIRK acting as a german is :slight_smile: lol

Werner Klemperer on “The Pat Sajak Show” (Good Quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBn0zpORo5c

Hogan’s Heroes - Colonel Klink (Werner Klemperer) interview.

Hogan’s Heroes - theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwp_CNPYv5g

As you can see from my avatar its awesomes

Yeah, I enjoyed the show as a kid back in the '60’s and early '70’s when it was still a regular season production. It was a very popular series that ran from 1965 - 1971.

Hogan’s Heroes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan’s_Heroes

Hogan’s Heroes - theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwp_CNPYv5g

Werner Klemperer on “The Pat Sajak Show” (Good Quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBn0zpORo5c

Hogan’s Heroes - Colonel Klink (Werner Klemperer) interview.

Werner Klemperer - Oberst (Colonel) Wilhelm Klink
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Klemperer

Born into a musical family, Klemperer was the son of the renowned conductor Otto Klemperer and Johanna Geisler, a soprano. Klemperer was also musically talented, being a violinist and an accomplished concert pianist. He also broadened his acting career by performing as an operatic baritone and a singer in Broadway musicals. He was a second cousin of Victor Klemperer. Indeed, he can be seen playing in the violin section of the New Philharmonia Orchestra on the EMI Classics DVD “Otto Klemperer — Beethoven Symphony No. 9.” at a concert that was performed on November 8, 1964, at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

His father being Jewish, Klemperer fled the Nazi regime with his family in 1935; they all made their way to Los Angeles, where his father obtained a conducting post. Klemperer began acting in high school and enrolled in acting courses in Pasadena before joining the United States Army to fight in World War II.

While stationed in Hawaii, he joined the Army’s Special Services unit, spending the next few years touring the Pacific entertaining the troops. At the end of the war, he worked on Broadway, and the advent of rapid growth in the television industry opened new doors to him.

Klemperer received significant notice for his role in the award winning 1961 film Judgment at Nuremberg. The film presents a fictionalized account of the post-World War II Nuremberg Trials, with Klemperer portraying Emil Hahn, a Nazi judge and one of the defendants at the trial. Prior to this, he had a small role in the 1957 Errol Flynn film Istanbul and a pivotal part in the “Comstock Conspiracy” episode of Maverick that same year. He also played the title role in the film Operation Eichmann.

He is best remembered as Colonel Wilhelm Klink, the bumbling and self-serving Commandant of Stalag 13 on Hogan’s Heroes, which ran on CBS from 1965 to 1971. Klemperer was very conscious of the fact that he was playing a German officer under the command of Nazis, and agreed to play Klink only on the condition that he would be portrayed as a fool who never succeeded. When Klemperer’s father, the famous conductor, saw his first episode of Hogan’s Heroes, he said to his son, “Your work is good…but who is the author of this material?”. For his performance, Klemperer received six Emmy Award nominations for best supporting actor, winning in 1968, and again in 1969. It was on the set of Hogan’s Heroes that he met actress Louise Troy http://hh.wikia.com/wiki/Louise_Troy , who was making a guest appearance. They fell in love, got married and eventually divorced (she died in 1994).

Klemperer reprised the role of Klink in an episode of The Simpsons in 1993 as Homer’s guardian angel/spirit guide in the episode: “The Last Temptation of Homer” (episode # 5.9). According to the particular episode’s DVD commentary, when he guested he had to be given a quick reminder of how to play Colonel Klink. Essentially, he imitated an imitation of the character. Additionally, he appeared in character and costume as Klink in a “Batclimb cameo” on the campy original Batman television series and as Officer Bolix in the Lost in Space episode “All That Glitters” in 1966.

An anecodote of this period that Bob Crane was fond of recalling involved Klemperer’s car. Between 1970 and 1978, Klemperer owned a Mercedes Benz 6.9 V8, which was initially intended for Roman Polanski. When parked on the set of Hogan’s Heroes, Crane always joked about it being “The Colonel’s staff car”. After Crane’s murder, Werner sold his Mercedes-Benz because it brought back too many memories of his dead friend.

John Banner - Oberfeldwebel (Master Sergeant) Hans Georg Schultz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Banner

Banner was born in Vienna, Austria. Because of his Jewish heritage, he was transported to a concentration camp before being released out of occupied Germany. Fortunately for him, Banner’s time in the concentration camp was during the early stages of Nazi rule, when Jewish extermination policies were not yet fully implemented.

In 1938, Banner, a trim 180 pounds, worked with an acting troupe in Switzerland and found he could not return to his native Austria because he was a Jew. He went to America and though unable to speak a word of English was hired as a Master of Ceremonies. Banner learned his words phonetically and soon mastered the English language.

Before Banner came to acting, he studied law for two semesters. His feature film credits include over 40 films and his first was Pacific Blackout. He was usually cast as a Nazi spy because of his accent and teutonic features. This was especially hard for Banner whose family had been wiped out in Nazi Concentration Camps.

In the 1950’s Banner’s weight had gone up to 280 pounds, and he made over 70 television appearances in the next two decades, including Mr. Ed, The Lucy Show, Perry Mason, The Partridge Family, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (The Neptune Affair 1964). In 1954 he played Bavarro in the Rocky Jones, Space Ranger series. Banner had previously played other Germans, Rudolph Hess in Operation Eichmann (1961) and Gregor Strasser in Hitler in 1962. In 1956, he played a train conductor in an episode of “Alfred Hitchcock Presents”, appearing in a scene with future fellow co-star Werner Klemperer, who played a spy. He also had a small role in a color episode of Adventures of Superman, playing a somewhat hapless character that to some extent anticipated his Sgt. Schultz characterization. Banner was loved by all the cast of Hogan’s Heroes (as told by those still alive on the recently issued DVD sets) and without effort became the main character of every scene he played in. He told TV Guide in 1967, “Schultz is not a Nazi. I see Schultz as the representative of some kind of goodness in any generation.”

Banner died of an abdominal hemorrhage on his 63rd birthday in Vienna in 1973. He was buried at the cemetery in Mauer in Liesing, the 23rd Bezirk of Vienna. His grave can be found under Gruppe 57 Reihe 2 Nummer 26.

Robert Clary - French Army Corporal Louis LeBeau (chef)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Clary

Clary was the youngest of 14 children. At the age of 12, he began a career singing professionally. In 1942, as a result of his Jewish heritage, he was deported to the Nazi concentration camp, Buchenwald with 12 other members of his immediate family. Clary was the only survivor. When he returned to Paris after the war, he was ecstatic when he found that some of his siblings had not been taken away and had survived the Nazi occupation of France.

Clary returned to the entertainment business and began making songs that not only became popular in France, but in the United States as well. He came to the U.S. in October of 1949. One of Clary’s first American appearances was a French language comedy skit on The Ed Wynn Show in 1950. Clary later met Merv Griffin and Eddie Cantor. This eventually led to Clary meeting Cantor’s daughter, Natalie Cantor Metzger, whom he married in 1965. Cantor later got Clary a spot on the Colgate Comedy Hour. His comedic skills were quickly recognized by Broadway, where he appeared in several popular musicals including New Faces of 1952, which was produced as a film in 1954.

In 1965, Clary was offered the role of Corporal Louis LeBeau on a new TV sitcom called Hogan’s Heroes, and he accepted the role when the pilot sold. The series was set in a German POW camp during World War II, and Clary played one of the prisoners, who ran an underground Resistance unit from inside the camp.

After his stint on Hogan’s Heroes, Clary appeared in a handful of feature films with World War II themes including the made-for-television film, Remembrance of Love about the Holocaust. Clary also made notable appearances on Days of our Lives and The Young and the Restless.

Clary appeared in the 1975 The Hindenburg which dramatized a fictional plot to blow up the Nazi airship after it arrived at the Lakehurst, New Jersey Air Station. His character was a showman/escape artist who hoped to use the airship in one of his shows.

Jewish actors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes#Jewish_actors

German popularity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan's_Heroes#German_popularity

I watched the show on YouTube for about 2-3 hours, before logging on here again… What a coincidence.

Nickdfreash,I always thought he was murdered over drugs. He was in the drug bussiness aswell.

His name is Kinch in the show.

Ivan Dixon played the character of Sgt. James Kinchloe, called “Kinch” for short.

I thought (still think) the show was (is) very funny. The way the tunnel popped up under the german shepard in the opening credits is great.

I’ve always liked the show. My dad and I would always watch it when I was young. I still watch it in syndication every once in a while. Timeless.

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeee Hogans Heroes.I watch the show every day. Bob Crane is my favorite character.I love how they make the krauts out to be so incompitant.

Count me in as a fan!
It was must see show for me and my friends,even watched the re-runs over and over.
Great actors and story lines kept us glued to the set.
I always love when Burkhalter would threaten Klink with the Russian front!

If you dont like hogans Hero’s you need a swift kick in the balls