How do you feel about mods dealing with trolls etc?

From time to time we get aggressive or disruptive or precious or just plain stupid members who insist on posting comments that require mod attention, and sometimes fairly aggressive or sarcastic mod comments.

As a mod, who of course is well known for his kind and gentle approach to all people and things :wink: :smiley: , Iā€™m interested in whether these conflicts influence other membersā€™ attitudes to the board.

You can post a comment or remain anonymous by just responding to the multi-choice poll.

I pretty much think the way its handled on this forum is fair.I also think its right that its seen to be fair.
Sometimes things get a little heated in any discussion and its good to have a referee to calm things down.

Trolls, in the bad sense of the word, I kind of consider myself a good troll, are quite entertaining to watch self-destruct in the face of overwhelming logic.

Hi guys,
i prefere to post my personal opinion, instead of remain anonymous. First of all, i think thatā€™s good that every member can see the posts where the mods deal with the so-called trolls, because these discussions arise it hasnā€™t no effects on the other members. Even better, they can be helpful, expecially for the new ones, to realize how to deal with different people and to handle such ticklish questions. I think that the engagement and the ā€œseverityā€ of the mods, are irremissible ingredients for the handling of this forum. We donā€™t have to forget that weā€™re taking about, every day, something that devasted the whole world and changed the balance between peoples and Countries.
I think that, deep inside everyone of us, there is a little troll that sleeps for the most part of the timeā€¦ The troubles started when he open up his eyes and, above all, when he open his mouth. We just have to learn how to control himā€¦ :smiley:
In order to thank every mod for their time and their help, i would like to say that the way that the forum is handled is pretty fair, in spite of the presence of someone that thinks to be ā€œwell known for his kind and gentle approach to all people and thingsā€ :wink: :smiley: :wink: :lol:
Best regards to everyone of you!!! :smiley:

The times Iā€™ve seen/read moderator interaction with trolls has always been fair. For the most part theyā€™ve been given benefit of doubt until they dig their own graves so to speak.

No problem with the way it isā€¦Thank You!

Cheers guys. One of us had a bit of a crisis of confidence and wondered if we were turning this place into a mini-dictatorship, so itā€™s nice to see that you think weā€™ve got it about right :slight_smile:

Itā€™s fine, I have no issues with how the forum is run.

I believe you are dealing with Trolls in an appropriate manner.

It is also probably important to realise that the context of this site would invite some heated debate. Nothing wrong with that, surely ex and serving soldiers and those interested in the subject have the balls to debate things and take it on the chin when you get it wrong. We all do get it wrong some times.

For the more sensitive type you may just want to point them to Dr Philā€™s site.;):slight_smile:

I certainly have no issues whatsoever with the way the Moderators deal to trolls.

Having been a Moderator/ room operator / room Owner in IRC I know well what a thankless task it can be.

On this Forum, our Mods are good, solid, reliable and above all reasonable folk, well worthy of our collective Respect and Thanks.
Regard my sentence above as personal Thanks to each Forum Moderator here.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.

I donā€™t see a problem with the Troll issue. There is , however a problem on the mods response to whoever is not in complete agreement with them. For exemple, giving some shit about wiki sources (or others), when their history of posting is full of it.

Mods are not always wrong, but they are full of it on numerous occasions, which is why this forum has become so dull.

I havenā€™t posted for a long time, and this will be my last one. You can ban me I donā€™t give a shit. I couldnā€™t find the cancel account and I donā€™t have any time to loose.

Well Rider, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Iā€™m not a Mod and isnā€™t my intention to act for them, but i think that even a simple member, like me, can say something. Iā€™ve never seen any post, where a Mod ā€œgave some shit about wiki sourcesā€. When the occasions demanded they probably ā€œgave some shit about shitty sourcesā€, cause sometimes people posts trite topics, full of commonplaces. They just try, in my opinion, to avoid the Forum becomes ā€œdullā€. The only thing youā€™ve been able to do is ā€œI havenā€™t posted for a long timeā€¦ā€ Warm congratulations!!! Iā€™m pretty sure that anybody will be missing youā€¦

Mods are not always right, which is why this thread was started in the first place as weā€™re looking for honest, constructive criticism and feedback. If you have specific grievances, please PM me any examples. And FYI, thereā€™s no ā€œcancel account.ā€ No oneā€™s going to ban you, because we donā€™t give a shit either actually.

If I cared enough I might have said something like that, but I was too busy looking at Wikipedia which, dude, is, like, you know, totally amazing and, like, absolutely awesome and, like, all good. And stuff. Dude. Or dudette. 'Cuz, like, those Wikidudes know, like, everything.

I mean Wikiā€™s got, like, Windrider there and everything and, hard to believe, but heā€™s also known as Making Waves.

"Windrider (also known as Wind Rider (Making Waves)) is a 1986 Australian romantic comedy film directed by Vincent Monton. Filmed in Perth, Western Australia, Australia.[1]

It features Kidman in her first ā€˜adultā€™ role and includes a few nude scenes.[2] In a interview Kidman stated was attracted to the role of Jade because the character was older.

Itā€™s inevitable that Iā€™ll grow up. People do still remember me as being 15, but itā€™s slowly changing. Itā€™s hard for a casting director to know where I fit in ā€“ I can play 22, 23, 24, if not physically then mentally.
ā€”Nicole Kidman"

I mean, like, Wow! If I was Windrider in a nude scene with Nicole Kidman, even if she is a scrawny little chook, Iā€™d find this forum dull. For a few seconds, anyway.

Wiki is, like, just so true.

I can totally understand how Windrider who, unlike all the mods, has a Wiki entry with a nude scene with Nicole finds this forum dull.

I think we should all beg Windy to come back and show us pictures of him with Nicole to remedy the dullness on this forum.

Totally tubular man,

Duuuuuddde, thatā€™s way heavy man, like totally awesome dude.

I have no problem with how the modā€™s on this site do their thing.

I have only had net access for a few years and initially was quick to respond to postings on sites like this one. I learned early that there is always someone who knows more about a subject than me. I was ā€œspankedā€ often.

Some time back I was banned from another military site and to this day I donā€™t know why. I queried their moderator but didnā€™t get a response. I think that would not be the case here.

Some years ago I was banned here once, maybe twice, during an era of rather less tolerant and consistent modding.

I think that posting this picture of the Queen with a smiling Jock with a cock might have been one of the reasons. http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/queen.asp

I still think itā€™s funny, not least because I remain quite immature in some respects, but at least I knew why I was in trouble.

One of the problems with being banned is that you might lose access to PM etc to dispute your ban.

Mate, you can be certain that here youā€™d know the reason you were banned, and that unless your first posts were rabid pro-Nazi or anti-Semitic or pro-Stalin rants or something equally extreme youā€™d have had plenty of opportunities to correct your behaviour before being banned.

Anyway, your posts here donā€™t give the slightest indication that there would ever be any reason to ban you so, unless you have a personality transplant or mental meltdown, youā€™re safe here.

Your posts, especially about your service experience, make a good contribution to the board.