How many own Military Surplus Weapons

Just checking to see if anyone as started a link for weapons we own ?
My K98

My No4 Mk1 ROF (F) 5/43

My No1 MK3 1942 lithgow

My No1 Mk3 Ishey (just Got It and its in the cleaning process)

My CZ52 1953

My Mi Garand 6/44 S/A

My M28 Finn Civil Guards Rifle all matching #s

My 1941 Kovrov non import stamped SVT 40 (I traded this for my Garand ) :frowning:

and a bunch of new ones
What do you fellas have ?

Nice pics mate, thats a fine looking Kar98k.

Here’s my assortment of arms:
http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1074

Man of Stoat’s a enthusiast as well with a fair bit of experience with WWII firearms:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=239

I used to own a WWII vintage M1 Carbine with full CES (it also saw action in Korea, too) but due to our (Australia’s) new gun laws, I had to hand it in to the Federal Police. 1 - it was semi-auto, 2 - it was military style, 3 - it had become illegal to own, unless the barrel was welded up and the firing pin destroyed. Being in the military at the time of the gun buy-back scheme, I had the M1 Carbine converted by our own armourer into a fully auto capable weapon, hence, illegal. I also owned a SMLE Mk IV Jungle Rifle with open iron sights and full CES, but I sold it to a collector for quite a tidy sum. These were allocated at random for $50 AuD in 1990 when Australian Army war stocks were being sold off, to be replaced by the ubiquitous SLR.

I have a Czech Vz.24 Mauser from the year 1938. The barrel and receiver match. I also have a twenty round trench magazine and a 15" long bayonet on it (also Czech).

That picture is a bit out of date. I just recently got a straight bolt for it.

I aso have a Webley and Scott Mk. VI revolver from 1916, still in .455. None of it matches, it’s mainly for shooting (even though I don’t shoot it that often for good reasons)

Bas . I have seen you collection over at surplus rifle Impressive to say the least :stuck_out_tongue:

Very nice Trench Mag on the 98 and the webley is awsome :lol:

Of course his webley is awesome, It’s British! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote=“student-scaley”]

Of course his webley is awesome, It’s British! :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]
That’s basically why I bought the Webley over a 1911 (that and the 1911 would’ve cost me about $200 more and it fires bullets that are 30 grains heavier than the 1911 :smiley: ).

Do you find this to be an advantage DM ?

Do you find this to be an advantage DM ?[/quote]
Yes and no.

Pros:
More inertia

Cons:
More recoil
More expensive
Slower than a .45

Yes and no.

Pros:
More inertia

Cons:
More recoil
More expensive
Slower than a .45[/quote]

Not sure I understand your answer, how does the inertia affect you personally ?
When you say more recoil, do you mean in relation to the 1911’s rd ?
Do your heads really cost more to buy, if so where do you get them from ?

Yes and no.

Pros:
More inertia

Cons:
More recoil
More expensive
Slower than a .45[/quote]

Not sure I understand your answer, how does the inertia affect you personally ?
When you say more recoil, do you mean in relation to the 1911’s rd ?
Do your heads really cost more to buy, if so where do you get them from ?[/quote]

It doesn’t affect me personally, it gives me a feeling of superiority over smaller and faster bullets

Yes.

I was refering to the overall cost of the bullet, a box of 50 is $28 without shipping. I need to buy a mould to start reloading though. No one sells just plain .455 bullets, you have to make 'em (unless you get lucky on eBay).

Der Mann, I hope I’m not reading this all wrong, but I’m unsure as to what you mean about your “feeling of superiority over smaller and faster bullets” - how do you find this to be of assistance ?

I still don’t understand your theory of the recoil either, the Mk 6 and the Colt are just about the same weight, (though the revolver is slightly heavier,) the mv and me of the latter considerably higher. Has Newton been disproved ?

I’ve always considered the 45 ACP to be a comfortable rd to fire, especially in JMB’s invention, and the Mk 6 to be an absolute pussycat.
Have you fired these two handguns ?

The laws of physics are such that for a revolver and recoil operated pistol of the same weight firing the same cartridge with the same muzzle velocity, the free energy of recoil will be greatest for the recoil operated pistol. To all intents and purposes, this is because momentum is conserved between the bullet and the moving parts of an automatic pistol, and not the whole weight of the pistol. In the case of a revolver, momentum is conserved between the bullet and the full weight.

Hatcher devotes a whole chapter to this in his famous Notebook.

Incidentally, someone has made a gas operated slide for the colt M 1911, which reportedly tames the recoil immensely.

I have shot both a Webley and a 1911. In fact the first time I had fired the 1911 I hit the ground because I over compensated for the recoil (I did what I would normally do for the Webley). I love how the 1911 handles, I have absolutely no problems with recoil. I used dual 1911’s and hit the target at 20 yards about 10/16 times.

Where exactly can you get these surplus weapons? I been wanting for a very long time to own myself a K98 and an M1 Garand. If anyone can provide me info on where to get them, I would greatly appreciate it.

Check www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com . Also try to go to gun shows and pawn shops.

Wow! Not only have you single-handedly disproved Newton’s laws of motion, you have also single-handedly destroyed the four elementary marksmanship principles. Frankly, if you are consciously “compensating for recoil”, I’m surprised you manage to hit any target at all.

I’m intrigued now. By “compensating”, do you mean “aimed low” or " flinched like a rent boy on his first job"?

I have shot both a Webley and a 1911. In fact the first time I had fired the 1911 I hit the ground because I over compensated for the recoil (I did what I would normally do for the Webley). I love how the 1911 handles

…[/quote] My bold.

The bullet will leave the bbl of the wpn before the recoil comes into play so will have no effect on where the muzzle is pointed, this is why manufacturers put those knobbly bits on top of them.
If you must aim off very low with the Webley then your wpn has been altered or damaged at some stage.
Either the fore-knobbly bit is too low or the rearknobbly bit too high. Ask your gunsmith to check your knobbly bits.

Should this not be the case then have the bbl checked out by a competent gunsmith, although at handgun ranges the damage will be eminently visible to an untrained eye.

What is/are dual 1911’s ?

I still don’t understand your “feeling of superiority over smaller and faster bullets” - how do you find this to be of assistance ?

Yet you say you were compensating for it. Are you getting confused ?
Compensating for recoil is normally a trait of those who do have a problem with it - do you have a flinch when you shoot ?
Take a course at a recognised trg establishment, it’ll work wonders on your techniques.
I don’t know which part of Texas you’re resident in, but a friend recommended the centre below.

Tim Oxley (Instr.), Texas Small Arms Academy, Houston.
Telephone 713-561-5335

I would say try the Thunder Ranch, but the cses are not cheap and I’m not sure if it’s the best place for you to start. (For either side.)

Thanks…ill try those links right now. :wink:

Of World War II small arms I have two Lee-Enfield rifles:
No 4 Mk I* made at the Long Branch Arsenal near Toronto, Canada in 1942 and SMLE Mk III made at a BSA (Birmingham Small Arms, Co.) controlled company near Birmingham in Shirley, England in 1940.
Both have issue slings and bayonets.

I used to own a Springfield Model 1903A3, but sold it about 20 years ago.

Also had a Colt 1911A1, but sold it and bought a S&W Model 1955 revolver in .45 ACP instead. The Model 1955 is similar to the Smith & Wesson Model 1917 revolver used during WWI and WWII, although it has a longer barrel and better sights. They both use half-moon clips to load and eject the rimless cases from the cylinder.

I have fired the M-1 Garand and M-1 Carbine (owned by my brother).

I own or have owned more modern weapons through the years.

I plan to buy a Russian Mosin-Nagant M1891 (either a M91/30 or M44) in the near future. Would eventually like to buy a Mauser 98k.