I need help identifying a bayonet....

I need help ID’ing an old bayonet that was “handed down” to me by my parents probably 30 or more years ago. They know nothing about it, except that they believe my older brother acquired it from a childhood friend, who we can not locate. It’s been our understanding all these years that it is a WWII bayonet, but we don’t know how to go about researching this and trying to identify it.

I realize this may not even be a WWII topic, but I’m hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to get started…I’m hoping someone here may have experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks for any and all help,
James Bentley
jamesbentley@charter.net

Posting a photo of it might be a good start :wink:

Thanks, I did take some photos, but they were not very good, so I’ll take some better pics and post them here when I get a chance.

I guess I probably should have waited to post this question until I had good photos, but I didn’t know they weren’t clear enough until I was ready to post them…sorry…

Again, thanks for any and all help!

James Bentley

If there are some stamps/marks on the bayonet please make an detailed photo of them too

For now mate how about a description?

Howlong? has it got wooden furnishings?

scabard?

webbing attachments?

any marks?

Is it British, American or German? etc.

Okay, I’ve taken some pictures of the bayonet I need help identifying…I hope I post these correctly. Incidentally, they’re in jpeg format, if that is unacceptable, please someone let me know and I’ll convert them to whatever format they should be in…

I think the bayonet was given to my older brother by a friend of his, but it’s impossible to track this person down or contact him. The bayonet in question is 12" long in scabbard, 11 1/4" unsheathed…as you can see in the picture, it has a wooden handle. It didn’t not come to me with any other attachments, only the bayonet and scabbard.
The number on the back of it is “M 97747”, followed by a logo. The logo is a crown over a circle containing the letters “F” & “L” in script. To the far left of the number is an indentation containing either “80” or “08”, it’s at an angle so I can’t tell which way it should read.
My older brother had possession of it before me, and unfortunately, he chose to sharpen it, so if there were any markings on the blade, I’m afraid they are now gone. The handle has no discernible marks, just wear and tear. I would not know if it is American, British or whatever. And I don’t know what time period it’s from, WWII or what.
I’m attaching 7 pics, I hope this is okay and I hope they’re good enough for someone to help me identify this bayonet.
Many thanks for any and all help and advice.
Thanks,
James Bentley

Bayonet Serial number.jpg

Bayonet Serial number 2.jpg

Bayonet crown.jpg

Bayonet Blade.jpg

Bayonet & scabbard 3.jpg

Bayonet & scabbard 2.jpg

Bayonet & scabbard.jpg

Okay … it looks like an italien design of world war two and it belongs to an carcano m.1938 short rifle
but i`m not 100% sure … as always :mrgreen:

If it’s Italian, it’s probably never been used in battle. :smiley:

:mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:

No doubt. The scuff marks on the wooden handle indicate it was only dropped once…:slight_smile:

looks like a match to me … what do you think ?? :smiley:

baj_it1938.jpg

Awesome! What kind is this? Is it Italian, as described above…? Does this bayonet belong to you? It seems to match mine exactly.

Thanks,
James Bentley

Yes it`s an bayonet that belongs to an Italian Marchetto Carcano m/38 short rifle and no, the one at the picture is not mine :frowning:

great object… :wink: